Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abbeyroad1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2020
Hi

I have a Samsung monitor (Samsung LC34H890WJUXEN) which has 3 ports:
* HDMI
* DisplayPort
* USB-C

I already use the HDMI and Displayports for other devices, switching between them as needed.

Is it possible to connect a mac mini 2018 using the USB-C port on the monitor connected to a Thunderbolt 3 port on the mac? Would this drive video output to the monitor? The usb-c port on the monitor can also be used as a charging port (max 65W). Would this output power from the monitor damage the mac mini?
If I can connect the mac mini to the monitor, can I use a standard usb-c to usb-c cable or does it need to be a Thunderbolt 3 specific cable?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: SackJabbit

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Hi

I have a Samsung monitor (Samsung LC34H890WJUXEN) which has 3 ports:
* HDMI
* DisplayPort
* USB-C

I already use the HDMI and Displayports for other devices, switching between them as needed.

Is it possible to connect a mac mini 2018 using the USB-C port on the monitor connected to a Thunderbolt 3 port on the mac? Would this drive video output to the monitor? The usb-c port on the monitor can also be used as a charging port (max 65W). Would this output power from the monitor damage the mac mini?
If I can connect the mac mini to the monitor, can I use a standard usb-c to usb-c cable or does it need to be a Thunderbolt 3 specific cable?

Thanks in advance

Not sure the charging port would be an issue - I connect a laptop to my USB-C monitor and charge it (and I can turn charging off on the port in the Dell monitor settings I think).

You have to select a decent cable. USB-C can be a bit of a minefield as you have to get one that's capable of carrying video and not be just a cheap charging cable - preferably one that supports USB3 3.1 Gen 2 for example. A USB-C 2.0 for example - carries only USB2, ideal for charging but probably not going to carry high bandwidth video link on your ultrawide monitor.

With this in mind, I'm now beginning to see why USB 4 will unify the mess of the various USB3 standards to be effectively Thunderbolt 3 plus every USB3 standard in existence at the moment.

A thunderbolt 3 cable, while relatively expensive, would guarantee to carry display signal, double as a USB 3.1 Gen 2 cable where the port at the opposite end isn't Thunderbolt, and could come in handy in the future.

Reactions: SackJabbit

abbeyroad1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2020
Thanks. You think it will be safe to plug in the cable - the power coming from the monitor won't be an issue for the mac mini?

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Thanks. You think it will be safe to plug in the cable - the power coming from the monitor won't be an issue for the mac mini?

I haven't plugged a desktop machine into the USB-C port (I use it on a laptop which can accept charging as well as video and USB signal) but there is a setting to turn off power delivery.

If I was ever to plug a mini into my monitor using the USB-C port I would turn off the power delivery in my monitor settings. The Dell monitor gives several alternatives for connection including Displayport and HDMI so the chances of me using USB-C for the mini would be minimal unless I wanted to use the USB hub in the monitor too.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'd like to know the same thing, I have a LG 32UL750-W I use now with my MacBook Pro 16" and got a Mac Mini 2018 coming from work and want to use the same monitor. Hoping it doesn't blow out the port but I assume it is ok...

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Using a USB-C Monitor with a desktop computer should not have any problems if the monitor supports USB Power Deliver. USB-C is designed to be smart. The 2 devices communicate with each other when cable is plugged it. A "handshake" process will ensure that everything works as it should. The desktop's USB-C port will let the monitor know that is does not need the power delivery, and so the monitor will not send it. The only risk is using low quality cables and/or cables that do not support USB-PD. But... I would think a good monitor would include a high quality compatible cable.

I use the LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR Monitor with my Mini! I love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.