Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Hello - I purchased a 2014 Mac Mini. I took it apart a few days ago to install a SSD. Everything seemed to go well. I installed the OS via WiFi and then upgraded to Sierra the same day. The WiFi worked fine the first couple days, but then today I went to put some files on the external drive I have connected to it, when I came back the WiFi wasn't working and it was turned off, which it was not when I left it.

I went to turn on, but it tells me it cannot connect and perhaps my password is wrong. I ran the diagnostic, but that offered some very simple solutions like making sure it's on and I don't know how to read the diagnostic report the troubleshooter generated. I tried rebooting the Mini and the router, but neither worked. I don't think the card is working because it only sees the network I was using before, while my Windows notebook can see 10+ other networks. Is there anything else I can try to fix this? My Mini is under warranty, but the Apple store is far and I'm sure they'll frown on me taking it apart. Thanks for any help.
[doublepost=1500197322][/doublepost]It seems I should have done some reading before posting, cause I have an 8TB external drive hooked to the Mini. Once I unmounted and unplugged it, WiFi started working. Is there some way I can use the drive if I set it far enough away? Thanks again.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Electrical interference from the USB3 cable is interfering with the wifi.
Known problem...

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Get a a better cable. IDK if wrapping current cable in aluminum foil will work, but it might.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
The cable that came with my Sabrent drive caddy caused problems.
A generic Amazon USB3 cable worked fine. -> They may have switched suppliers by now.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Thanks Partron. I just got off the phone with Apple support and they were saying it was electrical interference coming from the hard drive, not the cable. They asked if I moved the drive further away, did it help, which it seemed to, though it was slight and may have been within in the margin of error. I'm wondering if get a new cable, will it help? Thanks again.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
As Fishrrman said cables are a known problem. Drive could do it too, but I've not seen that.
Try some aluminum foil between the devices. Likely no need for a full Faraday cage. If it's the drive housing, covering that with foil should make a difference.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
I bought another cable. It's a 10'er, so if nothing else, hopefully I can move it farther away and that'll help. Thanks for the replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.