Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bullfrog13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
I have just bought my first mac :) .....*pause*........ HOWEVER :(.

I have tried transfering my photo collection to my mac via network and various media. In all cases the photos end up with all sorts of defects such as lines, discolourations, some are misaligned and so on. All my photos are in jpg format. do i need to reformat them or something ? If anyone can shed some light it would be much appreciated. :confused: cheers.

JNB

macrumors 604
There should be no difference from the original to the imported file, they're the same thing, really. JPG's are perfectly fine as far as file format.

The method of transfer shouldn't matter, either, but apparently something is introducing artifacts during it. All I can suggest is burn the images to CD, then import it iPhoto from the CD. iPhoto won't alter the image, and for that matter, nothing else should.

If you continue having the problem, try posting a "before & after" pair of shots, along with any info about what they came from, method of transfer, etc.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The only differences you should see are the colors and brightness may change- the Mac's software will read any embedded color and gamma information and use it to display the image- on the PC it depends on if the software you use to view the images is color-managed. To see the difference, simply open the same image side-by-side in Safari and any non-beta version of Firefox.

Artifacts, lines and things like that shouldn't happen.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have just bought my first mac :) .....*pause*........ HOWEVER :(.

I have tried transfering my photo collection to my mac via network and various media. In all cases the photos end up with all sorts of defects such as lines, discolourations, some are misaligned and so on. All my photos are in jpg format. do i need to reformat them or something ? If anyone can shed some light it would be much appreciated. :confused: cheers.

I'd go so far as to say this can't happen. You must be doing something more complicated than just moving the files. Could you explain your process in detail? Maybe follow one example file from begin to end. How are your images stored on the PC and were they straight from the camera or processed.

What happens when you transfer the image back to the PC. Are the changes reversed?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
What are you viewing them on on your PC? If its not in a viewing percentage divisable by 5 (I think thats the magic number) you will get artifacts and things. Make sure you are viewing at 25%, or 50% or 100%.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What are you viewing them on on your PC? If its not in a viewing percentage divisable by 5 (I think thats the magic number) you will get artifacts and things. Make sure you are viewing at 25%, or 50% or 100%.

Nit pick: 25%, or 50% or 100% means full size, half or quarter not fifths.

The idea is that image viewers have and easy time if they can do something so simple as discard every second pixel but the math is harder for other scale factors. So for for critically viewing images you are right use 25%, or 50% or 100%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.