Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portsfe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Hello nice people,
Fisrt off forgive me if this is already a thread but i could not find any answers for this problem here.

Now, I have an old macbook white 13" late 2009, I'm trying to reset it to factory settings because I want to give it away.
I was running Mavericks 10.9.5 but I've already erased the disk
I followed this steps https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065 (got stuck in the last one)
the thing is when it restarts it was asking for an apple id to recover and reinstall the OS from the app store. I don't want that. So I put the DVD of Snow Leopard that came with the macbook and selected it as the startup disk, now here is the problem, when trying to install I get the message: MAC OS cannot start up from this disk now it wont even let me eject the disk. I don't know what to do, can someone pls help?

*the only changed I made to this mac was installing an extra 2g RAM other than that its all originaly as it came out of the box.
*I don't have a backup bc I've already saved all important files to a pc

Attachments

• IMG_8392.JPG
    IMG_8392.JPG
    695.9 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_8393.JPG
    IMG_8393.JPG
    583.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_8394.JPG
    IMG_8394.JPG
    766.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_8395.JPG
    IMG_8395.JPG
    798 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_8396.JPG
    IMG_8396.JPG
    832.5 KB · Views: 196

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I would expect the machine to boot from the DVD that shipped with it. However, even if it did you wouldn't get the latest version of Snow Leopard without applying further updates. So I would recommend you install from the App Store by providing your AppleID when asked. Your ID is only used for the App Store download. Once the installation is complete, the machine will not be associated with your AppleID.

portsfe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Installing with apple ID is not an option for me.
However i did managed to get over the issue:
I resized the partition and then resized again to the original size and it worked!

Thanks for responding to me :)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I’m glad it worked. 250GB should have been enough to begin with. Perhaps reformatting just helped.

Kenjutsuz

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2020
Hello nice people,
Fisrt off forgive me if this is already a thread but i could not find any answers for this problem here.

Now, I have an old macbook white 13" late 2009, I'm trying to reset it to factory settings because I want to give it away.
I was running Mavericks 10.9.5 but I've already erased the disk
I followed this steps https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065 (got stuck in the last one)
the thing is when it restarts it was asking for an apple id to recover and reinstall the OS from the app store. I don't want that. So I put the DVD of Snow Leopard that came with the macbook and selected it as the startup disk, now here is the problem, when trying to install I get the message: MAC OS cannot start up from this disk now it wont even let me eject the disk. I don't know what to do, can someone pls help?

*the only changed I made to this mac was installing an extra 2g RAM other than that its all originaly as it came out of the box.
*I don't have a backup bc I've already saved all important files to a pc
Restart with Wired Mouse and hold down mouse button. Should eject DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.