Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDub2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
USA
I have an old McBook Pro (specs below) I've decided to dust off and use solely for GarageBand projects.

I booted it up the other day and played around on Garageband '11 (Version 6.0.5), and it's performance is still serviceable.

I'd like to upgrade the GarageBand version on this old MacBook Pro (as best I can without hampering the machine's performance) to allow for better file flexibility and integrity if and when I choose to transfer any GarageBand projects to my current MacBook Pro which is using fully updated Mac OS and Garageband versions.

However, I can't update from the old Garageband '11 6.0.5 unless I update the Mac OS Lion 10.7.5 on my old machine.

I called Apple Support on Friday. The support tech sent me to a page on the Apple site to download Mavericks. However, Mavericks is unable for download from Apple. She tried to help, but in the end, guessed that Mavericks was no longer supported by Apple.

Apologies if this is a super simple issue that everyone knows about but me. However, I figured I would start here for some guidance on my options.

Here's my question—can someone please give some guidance on the best way to upgrade from Lion?

Thanks in advance.

Old MacBook Pro Specs:
15-inch late 2008
Processor: 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Mac OS Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

DDub2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
USA
Well, I just got off with a different Apple Tech who was a bit more versed. We did a screen share and he's got me up to El Capitan. Woo hoo.

Thanks for anyone who took the time to read.

Cheers.

star.child

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
I'm on El Capitan as well. Were you ever able to get your version of garageband updated? I'm stuck on Version 6.0.5 myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.