Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myitrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
From a Security prospective, has been happening more often in recent times, that I receive email instructions on how to create a new user account for several web applications. E.G. Payroll system, Hotel Chain Company, etc.

Within the email instructions on how to create the user account, there is often the following note:

Please make sure you are using either Firefox or Chrome as your web browser and clear your cache and cookies.

Now, taking out of the equation Internet Explorer and clearing cache and cookies, how come (I guess) the Mac OS X Safari Web Browser Application is considered not secure? Or why the Safari Web Browser Application is not mentioned?

junkw

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Haifa, Israel
market share I guess, as Edge is not on the list either. The new Edge is a Chromium fork so probably as secure as Chrome

Or they are just too lazy to add more

Reactions: arn

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I had the same question. I’m running Catalina. Firefox is supposedly more secure, but with the various security updates with Catalina I’m wondering whether similar care has been given to Safari. I stopped using Safari, but I have more bookmarks and passwords stored on it than Firefox at this point, making clean installs easier.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Ya, on desktop, Safari is only 4% of browsers

On mobile, however, it's 27% due to iOS

Reactions: junkw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.