Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hey all!

I'm fairly new to Mac OS X Server, but I'm learning as I go!

I know you can do this, but apparently it's either never been an issue for people or for some reason it's just really hard to search online for. :/

I've been trying to get a Share Point on my Mac OS X Server Leopard 10.5 machine to share Applications to clients on the network. Everything seems to go as planned when setting up the Share Point with Automount and using the option "Use for /Network/Applications" in the Edit menu there.
Picture 1.png

However, after I connect to it via the /Network/Applications folder, I get this error: "The operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -43)." This happens on both the Server machine or a client PowerBook.
Picture 2.png

Any ideas?

Slix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Just tried giving both the Server Admin and myself (nSlix) the read/write permissions for the Share Point, no luck accessing the /Network/Applications folder. Still gives the same error. Is there a cache that needs to be reset for that folder, as I can connect to the Server itself and access the Share Point that way (it's a folder called Shared Applications there)?

micahgartman

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX, USA
Just tried giving both the Server Admin and myself (nSlix) the read/write permissions for the Share Point, no luck accessing the /Network/Applications folder. Still gives the same error. Is there a cache that needs to be reset for that folder, as I can connect to the Server itself and access the Share Point that way (it's a folder called Shared Applications there)?

Don't forget to propagate those permissions, too ;)

micahgartman

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX, USA
Have you installed Macintosh Manager? There isn't much documentation about it, but the Admin Guide from the Server 10.1.2 install disc says:

What Is Macintosh Management Service?
Macintosh Management service lets you set network-wide policies for controlling user access to applications, file server volumes, and printers. You can also define the environment users see when they log in. Macintosh Manager is particularly useful for providing authentication and preference management for NetBoot client computers.

Slix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
@micahgartman: Hmm... I haven't heard of that, but I'm guessing they combined that into other Server apps after 10.1. The options for those things (files, printers, applications) are all in Server Admin in 10.5 at least. I'll look into it though.

micahgartman

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX, USA
I'm basing this on 10.6 Server, but it should be identical to Leopard Server.

The permissions for the "Shared Items" folder (at the root of the drive) are set so that "system" can read/write but everyone else can "read only." That being the case, the "-43" is probably telling you that it can't read/write your "Shared Applications" folder because it can't get pass the "read only" permissions on the "Shared Items" folder.

What I'd try is creating a new share point on the root of the drive and give "everyone" read/write access. Move your copy of TenFourFox to the new share point. If you are then able to open an app from a client computer, you know it was a permissions issue. From there you can tailor the new share point's permissions to grant access to the appropriate users.

Permissions—they're awesome when they work in your favor but a pain pain the in butt when they don't.

Slix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
@micahgartman: I just tried that, and I tried Repairing Permissions for the drive, as well as a PRAM reset... Nothing works. :/

It's not really that big of a deal, considering I could probably find another way to do what I want (plus, loading apps over the network might not be the fastest thing ever...), but it's still weird that we can't figure this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.