Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swiftmacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
So in windows I get very slow response time from my hdd and it takes ages to copy files or open programs but on OSX Yosemite it works fine I have 100 mb/s hdd speed.
Some help would be appreciated
Thanks.

Swiftmacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
I assume we're talking about Windows in Bootcamp?

Likewise, If you'd like to give some more info (HDD, ballpark read/write speeds), that would help diagnosis.

RGDS,
It's a Western Digital 1TB HDD bought from Apple in 2013, 118.1 MB/s Write and 120.3 MB/s Read and it passed S.M.A.R.T test (Yes it's in bootcamp).

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
not all of a HD runs at the same speed the out side is faster than the inside.
so it may just be that the windows partition is on the slow section, might also be something simple like you gave the windows install to little room.

Swiftmacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
not all of a HD runs at the same speed the out side is faster than the inside.
so it may just be that the windows partition is on the slow section, might also be something simple like you gave the windows install to little room.
This isn't my first time installing 2 os's on the same hdd, it shouldn't be this slow and I have a 3000 ms response time, read speed of max 40mb and a write speed of also 40 mb.
By the way the hdd runs in UDMA so I installed the drivers fine.
Help me because I need to use the Windows side for work.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
simple answer get a SSD.

help me help you, did you give windows to little room??? give info or it's pointless

all we know is you have a 1TB HD from 2013 thats all (and thats old for a consumer HD)
what computer, what os, what partition size, what HD model, ram? performance info
anything
for all i know you have a run away app with massive i/o

Swiftmacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
simple answer get a SSD.

help me help you, did you give windows to little room??? give info or it's pointless

all we know is you have a 1TB HD from 2013 thats all (and thats old for a consumer HD)
what computer, what os, what partition size, what HD model, ram? performance info
anything
for all i know you have a run away app with massive i/o
It's a Mac Pro 1.1 from 2006, OSX Yosemite and Windows 7, HDD split in two 500 GB for Yosemite and 500 GB for Windows 7, HDD Model : APPLE HDD WDC WD10EALX-408EA0 7200 RPM, 6 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM: four 512 MB Sticks and two 2 GB Sticks, 4098 CPU score for my 2x 5150 Xeons in Geekbench 4 ( Will be getting Xeon X5365's soon), upgraded the original GT 7300 to a Gigabyte GTX 760 OC.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
The X5365 upgrade will make a world of difference. But seriously look at two additional upgrades in addition to this:
1. An SSD drive. I eventually bought another Samsung 850 EVO 500GB and use that for Windows10, just in one of the direct correct bays. It absolutely screams compared to the WD Black Caviar 1TB drive I had been using, so maybe consider that upgrade too.
2. Much MORE RAM. Make them all the same size (ditch the 512MB sticks) if you can.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
well im not shore why it's so slow, as long as you have more than 20% free space on the partition your booting from a HD will work ok.
you may have some back ground apps that are relay hammering you I/O i gess

relay a faster HD or a SSD are the simplest fix a SSD will be a lot lot lot faster (even a cheep one) so it's worth thinking about.
a cpu or ram upgrade may be nice but relay it wont help I/O problems and for light use 6GB is fine.

i gess you may be going past your ram limit casing a lot of swap to happen, if you use more ram than you have your OS will swap ram to the HD which will relay slow things down and do a lot of I/O so that might be it.

edit
sorry when i asked for more info i was tired, it helps if you give info like
free room on drive
apps running
screen shot of task manger showing ram use
etc

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
This isn't my first time installing 2 os's on the same hdd, it shouldn't be this slow and I have a 3000 ms response time, read speed of max 40mb and a write speed of also 40 mb.
By the way the hdd runs in UDMA so I installed the drivers fine.
Help me because I need to use the Windows side for work.

Wait, UDMA? Installed drivers?
If you have a SATA HDD in a Mac Pro, you should not need to install drivers for windows, and UDMA is a (P)ATA technology, which should have no place in this configuration.

I'm getting more and more confused. Could you explain?

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.