Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sprihoda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 that I am attempting to upgrade for the purposes of updating it to El Capitan. I hadn't used the computer in a year or two, and there was not an HDD installed in the system. (I pulled drive from it a while back for another project) When I stopped using it a few years ago, everything worked normally.

I installed a new HDD, and attempted to boot from a USB Installer, but did not get video from GPU (7300GT). I am using a DVI to HDMI cable to plug into a TV ( I have also used same cable to plug into a computer monitor, no joy). I have reset SMC, PRAM, and reseated GPU. Computer boots up and chimes, just no video. Drive doesn't have OS X on it, so I cannot remote in from another mac to see if GPU is in system profiler.

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 at work with an Nvidia GPU in it. I brought home the Stock AMD 5770 from the 5,1 and installed it in the 1,1. Still no video. Attempted with DVI to HDMI, and mini-display to HDMI cables.

I took the HDD to work, installed it in the 5,1, and reinstalled the AMD 5770 in order to boot from the USB Installer and install OS X 10.7. Idea was to set up account & enable remote log in so that I could install into 1,1 and remote in from another mac. When I installed 5770 into 5,1 I did not get any video. Card fan spins up, and computer chimes, but no video. I didn't have my laptop with me, so I wasn't able to remote in at that time. My Nvidia card is not flashed, so I cannot boot into recovery without the 5770.

Is it possible the 1,1 is "killing" cards somehow? The only other thing I can think is that because there are no drivers installed GPU isn't displaying video, but that doesn't explain why the 5770 no longer works in my 5,1.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

sprihoda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
I hate to ask this because you seem to know your stuff quite well, but did you reconnect the 5770 power cable?
Good question. The 5770's power cable was properly connected while in both the 1,1 & the 5,1. Also, I used different power cables in each mac pro, so that in theory rules out a bad mini-6 to 6-pin power cable.

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
The 7300 should be ok for all installation needs. Its just a very laggy gui but good enough to set the mac up.

So it must be something else, psu, cable, monitor, etc.

Tried a pram reset ? Is the battery ok ? Can u strip the mac down to the bone leaving only in whats necessary to boot with minimal graphics ?

sprihoda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Update:

I brought my MacBook with me to work today, put the 5770 in the 5,1 but still no video. I used remote desktop via the MacBook, signed into my user, and then the monitors kicked on, so it appears the 5770 is still good.

I "stripped" the mac pro down to one memory riser with 1 matching pair of ram, CPU, GPU, PSU. No Hd's, Airport Cards, or disk drives.

After more research, it seems that the 5770's Mini-Display ports do not work when it is in a 1,1. This makes me think the DVI to HDMi Cable could be the problem. I'm going to install Lion on HD at work tomorrow and install drive in 1,1. I'll also order another brand of DVI to HDMI cable.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
The mini display port do work in a 1.1 - I use a 1.1 to test GPUs - at least they work thru a mdp-dvi Adapter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.