Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
Hey Folks—

I have some 2006 Mac Pro servers running Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 that have done a fantastic job over the years. However, I'm considering upgrading to 10.11 El Capitan (via Pikify app hack) for some improvements in the file sharing service, among other things. We all know this about the GPU situation on EFI32 Mac Pros:

El Capitan does not include 64-bit kernel extension device drivers for the original NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, ATI Radeon X1900 XT, and NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 PCIe graphics cards that shipped with these Mac Pros, nor the ATI Radeon X1300 that shipped with the Xserve (Late 2006), so they do not work properly in El Capitan. These graphics cards display issues such as a very sluggish GUI with no QE/CI support, no framebuffer support (for DVD Player, Geekbench and other programs), graphics artifacts, mouse tearing, inability to change resolutions, bad refresh rates, and other system instabilities. If you need normal graphics support in El Capitan, you will need a newer PCIe graphics card, with popular options being the Apple ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro, SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 MAC Edition, or many different options of stock and Mac-"flashed" PC cards.

Given this server duty, *DO* I "need normal graphics support"? UI sluggishness is not really much of a concern, unless it impacts Remote Desktop and some very occasional console use. In one case, I've run the Mac Pro for a while w/ no graphics card at all (the one it had was failing and causing crashes, so it was better off w/o one!). I'm wondering if it makes more sense to leave the GPU and not worry about interface performance, or to look for something minimal.

What's your opinion? "Dump it and get XYZ NAS, you fool!" while a perfectly acceptable opinion, and you're welcome to it, doesn't really help me here. Just trust me. :) If that's your take, then consider this a purely academic exercise, if you will.

Considerations on a replacement GPU, if there's no avoiding it:
1. Single-slot (I tend to relocate server GPUs to lesser-lane slots so that network & disk I/O can have the wider x8/x16 slots 1 & 2)
2. Preferably powered from slot only
3. I forgot 3. :p

I see that the 2014-recommended flashed GT120s that MVC had are sold out. And the MP4,1 GT120s are EFI64-only and therefore incompatible (at least, in my experience; perhaps those could be flashed too?). Worthwhile to try flashing a PC GT120 or something along those lines?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Fred

EDIT: Just realized that a couple of possible candidates have Radeon HD 2600 XTs in them. So these should do alright, shouldn't they? That's one option mentioned in this old thread. Others are X1900 and 7300GT, so they'd need help.

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Have you tried remote controlling with NO GPU in ? For me the Gui respnse is acceptable that way, comes in a standard 1280 resolution remotely.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Yes, I've done that a little bit. Seems like it can be a bit dodgy sometimes, but works ok. One interesting omission I've noticed is the ability to take screenshots. Since that's a dump from VRAM, I guess having NO VRAM kinda puts the kibosh on that! Maybe I'll give it a shot and make the progression until I reach a workable solution: first w/ the old GPU, then w/ it removed, then w/ a newer, compatible GPU.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
NVIDIA GT 630/640/740 are good and work up to 10.14 (lol) think there the best cheep options.
MVC and a few people recommend them for "if you just need video out" etc

if you dont need boot display it's what id use (native drivers to as a big plus)
& if any one just needs extra displays it's a good option

ps iv never relay gone past the apple screen sharing stuff for remote use so im not relay up on it but i think you need to add a dummy display out to the GPU for headless use if thats what you want to do.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
NVIDIA GT 630/640/740 are good...if you dont need boot display it's what id use (native drivers to as a big plus)

So, no boot screen? I think that if I were procuring a "new" card for one of these server boxes, I'd at least want that, in case of any emergencies or troubleshooting. Are these flashable?

i think you need to add a dummy display out to the GPU for headless use if thats what you want to do.

Perhaps some Macs require this, but I've been able to remotely control Mac Pros (1,1 and 3,1 anyway) headless w/o a dummy, as well as a Mac mini 2012. They do seem to negotiate the link quicker and work a little more smoothly if they do have a display attached (mini) or GPU installed (MP), but they worked.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
iv not had a boot display since my GTX 660 was still sold :D so ~~ up to you

the cards i listed are the cheapest MVC has on sale if you do want boot screens you can look at his options.

iv got a 3.1 not a 1.1 so im not so up on the best options for it i gess, if you relay need boot display then MVC may be a good option or if you can dig out an original apple card on ebay i gess

got to ask what do you need boot display for?

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I have a at 4870 with bootscreen running fine in our macpro 1,1

Its an original apple 4870, but pc versions van be flashed..

4870 is compatible with el capitan just fine.
The card is from an macpro 4,1

Reactions: orph

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
o yes there's a bunch of AMD/ATI cards that are easy to flash, I just dont know them as well

i forget, whats the forum with all the info for that called?

andrew nz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2017
Christchurch new zealand
Hey Folks—

I have some 2006 Mac Pro servers running Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 that have done a fantastic job over the years. However, I'm considering upgrading to 10.11 El Capitan (via Pikify app hack) for some improvements in the file sharing service, among other things. We all know this about the GPU situation on EFI32 Mac Pros:

EDIT: Just realized that a couple of possible candidates have Radeon HD 2600 XTs in them. So these should do alright, shouldn't they? That's one option mentioned in this old thread. Others are X1900 and 7300GT, so they'd need help.

i do not have any issues with 7300gt. works as intended under 10.11.6

Methanoid

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
EDIT: DOH wrong thread!

This week I sold my G5 Dual Core with 6600GT
Yesterday I scored a Mac Pro with X1900 inside (to flash to G5 use)
Today I won an auction for a G5 Quad
The plan is MacOS/MorphOS/Linux with X1900 BUT.... reports seem to suggest Linux will suck on X1900 for some reason....

I fixed my iMac G4 with dead screen and have a iMac G5 and Mac Mini G4 also to play with..... Not sure I have room so some will have to go....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.