Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diggory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2019
Just bought a used Mac Pro 1,1 tower of craigslist with no GPU or HDD. I have a blank SSD and 2.5 to 3.5 converter, a used mac GT 120, and a used GTX 680 i have flashed to work with mac. With either card, I get the chime but no video goes out my monitor. My keyboard lights up and I have gotten the restart command to work but otherwise nothing.

Things I've tried:
- power GPU off other power supply
- boot with blank SSD
- boot with no hard drive installed
- DVI, HDMI
- new thermal paste on CPU's
- asked previous owner if he modded bios (he hasn't)
- made sure no lights on ram

Specs I know about tower:
- 2x 2.66 GHz Xeon 5150
- GT 120/ GTX 680 (both purchased off craigslist, both work in my windows PC)
- 8x2 667 MHz ddr2
- blank 240gb SSD (brand new off amazon)

I forget the command, but the only one I know that worked was the one where I could get the chime to happen again, some commands I've tried I've heard the fans kick in so I don't think it's DOA.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I have original MAC OS install discs that came with tower, but cannot even get the DVD drive open. Thanks.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Just bought a used Mac Pro 1,1 tower of craigslist with no GPU or HDD. I have a blank SSD and 2.5 to 3.5 converter, a used mac GT 120, and a used GTX 680 i have flashed to work with mac. With either card, I get the chime but no video goes out my monitor. My keyboard lights up and I have gotten the restart command to work but otherwise nothing.

Things I've tried:
- power GPU off other power supply
- boot with blank SSD
- boot with no hard drive installed
- DVI, HDMI
- new thermal paste on CPU's
- asked previous owner if he modded bios (he hasn't)
- made sure no lights on ram

Specs I know about tower:
- 2x 2.66 GHz Xeon 5150
- GT 120/ GTX 680 (both purchased off craigslist, both work in my windows PC)
- 8x2 667 MHz ddr2
- blank 240gb SSD (brand new off amazon)

I forget the command, but the only one I know that worked was the one where I could get the chime to happen again, some commands I've tried I've heard the fans kick in so I don't think it's DOA.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I have original MAC OS install discs that came with tower, but cannot even get the DVD drive open. Thanks.
Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 are both EFI32 Macs. MP3,1, 4,1, 5,1 are EFI64 Macs.

If you flashed your GTX 680, you flashed it to work with EFI64 Macs. Apple GT 120 is also an EFI64 GPU, it's from MP4,1. Both cards only show image after the drivers are loaded by macOS when installed into a MP1,1 or 2,1.

If you have another Mac that can install 10.6 or 10.7, install into your drive, then put the drive into your Mac Pro, after macOS is loaded you probably will get video.

MP1,1 and MP2,1 EFI32 original GPUs are Apple 7300GT, Quadro FX4500 or X1900XT. Apple Geforce 8800GT have two versions, the most common one is the one with EFI64, the less common one is the one with EFI32 and this is the one that you need if you are going to get one.

If I was you, I would try to find a cheap original Apple NVIDIA 7300GT locally, just to have boot screens to test and install macOS easily.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.