Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
hi you all, share an experience of upgrading mac pro 1,1 to 2,1, after update the firmware normally, the Mac won't start, the power button remains light on, some click inside of case, hear the video card have noise and then silence, then restart noise in cycle, nothing on screen, no chime at start, so can't do pvram, tried to these steps, it may help you to have a check liste when have the problem:

1, change keyboard, not work, sometime the keyboard non compatible will cause this
2, unplug all connected components: usb, pcie, even dvd rom, not work, to avoid other affection and double problems, only stick on the main problem
3, change the smc battery, not work, to precise it's Panasonic CR2032
4, change video card, not work, the non original video card may cause this too
5, change ram, not work, it's just to try, if your rams worked before upgrading, it should work after, but in case you moved your case and they are not well plugin, so take a chance
6, change processeurs, not work, I need to change them anyway, so it's not really necessary for you

after that we can pretty sure that the problem is from the psu, since this is product year 2006, and the upgrade to 2,1 may need more power, it's may cause the retire of psu, I've changed another psu, now it works normally, problem solved.

sometimes the problem would be worse, your Mac Pro starts and you hear noise from video card, then Mac Pro shut down, you may look for the problem on same way up, I found this case is not the single on internet, so share it for people who need it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.