Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
hi you all, share an experience of upgrading mac pro 1,1 to 2,1, after update the firmware normally, the Mac won't start, the power button remains light on, some click inside of case, hear the video card has noise and then silence, then restart noise in cycle, nothing on screen, no chime at start, so can't do pvram, tried to these steps below, it may help you to have a check liste when have the problem:

by help with a friend member, i think need to add this smc reset first of all other procedure, when you cant start your MacPro normally: unplug the power cable, wait for 15 seconds, replug in power cable, wait for 5 seconds, restart your mac, if it doesn't work, you have your smc reset button at back of the first ram caddy, slightly below the diagnostic led, press the button and release, you may see the double red led lights flashed once, then restart the mac
btw if your mac was stocked in basement for a while you may need to do at least once rtc reset, the button is just right on above the smc reset button, for just incase,

1, change keyboard, not work, sometime the keyboard non compatible will cause this
2, unplug all connected components: usb, pcie, even dvd rom, not work, to avoid other affection and double problems, only stick on the main problem
3, change the rtc battery, not work, to precise it's Panasonic CR2032, btw if you don't have another one, you can just remove the battery and hold it for 20 seconds, then put it back
4, change video card, not work, the non original video card may cause this too
5, change ram, not work, it's just to try, if your rams worked before upgrading, it should work after, but in case you moved your case and they are not well plugin, so take a chance
6, change processeurs, not work, I need to change them anyway, so it's not really necessary for you

after that we can pretty sure that the problem is from the psu, since this is product year 2006, and the upgrade to 2,1 may need more power, it's may cause the retire of psu, I've changed another psu, now it works normally, problem solved.

sometimes the problem would be worse, your Mac Pro starts and you hear noise from video card, then Mac Pro shut down, you may look for the problem on same way up, I found this case is not the single on internet, so share it for people who need it!

Last edited:

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
so you have only tried to flasht the firmware to 2,1 and not cpu upgrade yet.. ?

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Ok i see..
I believe there is also a SMC reset button on the logic board, have you tried that one also.. ?

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
Ok i see..
I believe there is also a SMC reset button on the logic board, have you tried that one also.. ?
you are right, i should check the smc, but since i've never did reset smc after upgrade mp1.1 to 2.1, cause they worked all of before this one, and this one is already "reset to work" so no need for it now anymore, but you are right i should do it check too, i will put on the list, many thanks

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
The 2.1 upgrade is doable without changing the cpus. If it does not start it maybe is bricked or needs some deep resets. If its the psu pull everything but one ram, you should hear the machine post.

Ive heard about bricks doing the firmware update. Btw smc update is next step.

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
if the EFI is bricked, maybay it can be reflashed manually.. ?
Is it a standard 8 legged Eeprom chip, if so a eeprom clipper could help I gues...

I would suggest you try the advice from Macshrauber !

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Maybe the firmware restoration cd is worth a try also.

Im not sure yet if the sip flash is an 8 legger, if so its an easy repair.

I read that the 3.1 has a much bigger chip, much more difficult to get off.

I have a couple of 1.1 logic boards for spares, gotta check them after the holiday season. So as the TO is in europe I can desolder a flash chip and send it over to france.

If one is so mad about flashing he should learn to swap the flash chips ;-)

Its not tuff, tools are really cheap nowadays. I do that with an iron and solder wick and a load of flux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.