Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
so i figured i would try to install linux on my old 3,1.
so i installed an old ssd, popped it in, turned on the mac and nothing. i get a solid white led and no chime. nothing on the usb either, hence no led on the mouse and no caps led on the keyboard.
so diving into some of the support forums on the net said that i should try reseating ram and whatnot. tried that, still nothing. no chime and solid white led. so i took out all the ram and the riser cards after reading that some said the riser cards could flake.
well, no chime and solid white led........ with no ram??????? no error blinking, just solid white.
so then i checked the diag led's, found out that led 2 and 9 are only lit (STBY & EFI).
i took out the pram battery, ram, video card, dvd rom, hard drives and all cables in the back except power, turned on mac, no chime, solid white led and diag leds show 2 & 9.
i pressed the sys res button on the mac with the mac powered on, but it does not reboot, so i have to shut the mac down. then i restart the mac with nothing inside but still no chime, solid white led and diag led 2 & 9 lit

has my mac fried itself while sitting not being used?

i attached a video showing whats going on

Last edited:

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
well you could try stripping it down, reseating the processors new paste etc but i dont really think its worth it. does look like a cpu or mobo issue

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
it was running fine before i retired it and started using the 4,1 and that was more than a year ago

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.