Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robot_builder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2021
San Diego
Hi All, this is my first post here though I’ve often arrived here when searching for troubleshooting answers.

I have a Mac Pro 2008 (3,1) that I bought new for research originally. It lived it’s life doing day to day tasks while running simulations that took sometimes days in the background. It was amazing. Alas it eventually began having issues and then refused to boot. I ultimately after various efforts replaced the power supply and that helped though it now went from only trickle power diagnostic led on to trickle, power good leds and briefly lighting the gpu and efi done then both turn off and the fans spin up on the computer and GPU.

I’ve been troubleshooting it and that’s probably another lengthy post to make. But I got curious if anyone has made. List of the front panel LED and power button functions and visual indications (blinks, blink speed, number of times etc). I tried re-loading the firmware with the apple firmware restoration disk 1.5 (which should be correct for this machine) and didn’t get past holding the power button as it blinks rapidly but does not then do slow blinks or open the dvd tray it just stops blinking and goes solid.

Robot_builder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2021
San Diego
So the button led combination do

Press briefly to Power on/solid led

Hold 5 seconds to power off/led turns off

Insufficient RAM/ led blinks slowly (in a pattern I forget precisely)

EFI corrupt/led does the inverse of SOS Morse code?

Press and hold power button from off for 15-20 seconds/ EFI reload mode, rapid blind followed by slow blinks then rapid blinks and the drive tray opens to take the disk

Anything else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.