Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belzoid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2022
Where does this part go?

Cleaning out my Mac Pro 2008 (looked like the inside of a vacuum bag with all the dust!) and found this piece floating around unattached. Anyone able to tell me where it goes? Some type of heat sink?
Looked at some vintage parts sellers online but couldn't find this part that might lead me to a location diagram.
Has 3 spring loaded pins.

Attachments

• IMG_4298.jpeg
    IMG_4298.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4295.jpeg
    IMG_4295.jpeg
    636.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 96

belzoid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2022
Where does this part go?

Cleaning out my Mac Pro 2008 (looked like the inside of a vacuum bag with all the dust!) and found this piece floating around unattached. Anyone able to tell me where it goes? Some type of heat sink?
Looked at some vintage parts sellers online but couldn't find this part that might lead me to a location diagram.
Has 3 spring loaded pins.
The part is 6” long.

belzoid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2022
Nope. Similar fin structure look but incorrect. Appreciate the guess.

belzoid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2022
Power rail heatsink, near the processors, see below:

View attachment 1975393
Question Answered with photo. That is where that part goes. As soon as you attached the board photo and highlighted the location I could see 2 of the pinholes its gets anchored in. The other one is hidden behind another part I didn't remove that holds the fan housing in at the base. Really appreciate the quick reply and visual identifier.

Reactions: Dayo and tsialex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.