Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Hello all,

I just recently got my Sapphire pulse RX 580 and I am very happy that it works in the 2009 Mac pro!

Now, it displays as R9 xxx 8GB in About This Mac which looking on forums this appears to be common. I ma currently running High Sierra 10.13.3 on a 5.1 flash mac pro 2009.

I plan on upgrading to Mojava. Even though the system is displaying as R9 xxx 8GB, will I be able to upgrade to Mojava or am I going to have to hack the card to display correctly first? Also, when I do upgrade to Mojava, will the card be displayed correctly in about this mac?

Thank you

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello all,

I just recently got my Sapphire pulse RX 580 and I am very happy that it works in the 2009 Mac pro!

Now, it displays as R9 xxx 8GB in About This Mac which looking on forums this appears to be common. I ma currently running High Sierra 10.13.3 on a 5.1 flash mac pro 2009.

I plan on upgrading to Mojava. Even though the system is displaying as R9 xxx 8GB, will I be able to upgrade to Mojava or am I going to have to hack the card to display correctly first? Also, when I do upgrade to Mojava, will the card be displayed correctly in about this mac?

Thank you

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-what-you-have-to-do-to-upgrade-to-mojave.2142418/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.