Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafonso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Lisbon
Hi everyone,

A few threads over the last few months address the issue of NVMe SSD PCIe adapters and the new life they can offer to the cMP. After reading most (all?) of them I was convinced about the highpoint 7101A but stumbled on the newer 7102 then replaced by the 7103. Major difference appeared to be the capability to create a bootable (hardware) raid with the 7103 (recognises by the 2010 cMP), but at least one user here found that the cMP fans were then boosted to much higher revs (without a significant T increase that could justify it), making the noise factor a no-go in his case (probably the same for me).

But this is making me uncertain about what is the best option: the 7101A, which isn’t able to boot from raid (not dramatic in my case), has a potentially disturbing fan noise (but solutions were found and described here, should be fine), or a 7103 that appears to allow raid boot with the cMP (very interesting for me), potentially has the same board fan noise (but likely to be fixable like the 7101A), but might (or will it definitely?) mess up with the cMP fan control and raise those fans as well (it wasn’t clear to me if this was fixable but apparently was not...).

Can anyone help please? Which of these two cards could be the better option for an aging 2010 cMP that has recently bailed out of the hard disk train in favour of SSDs all around (and working superbly like that)?

PS: congratulations to you guys for this outstanding resource. Keeping this amazing machine competitive after 10 years is a remarkable feat, not possible without your efforts!

Jose

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Netherlands
Hi everyone,

A few threads over the last few months address the issue of NVMe SSD PCIe adapters and the new life they can offer to the cMP. After reading most (all?) of them I was convinced about the highpoint 7101A but stumbled on the newer 7102 then replaced by the 7103. Major difference appeared to be the capability to create a bootable (hardware) raid with the 7103 (recognises by the 2010 cMP), but at least one user here found that the cMP fans were then boosted to much higher revs (without a significant T increase that could justify it), making the noise factor a no-go in his case (probably the same for me).

But this is making me uncertain about what is the best option: the 7101A, which isn’t able to boot from raid (not dramatic in my case), has a potentially disturbing fan noise (but solutions were found and described here, should be fine), or a 7103 that appears to allow raid boot with the cMP (very interesting for me), potentially has the same board fan noise (but likely to be fixable like the 7101A), but might (or will it definitely?) mess up with the cMP fan control and raise those fans as well (it wasn’t clear to me if this was fixable but apparently was not...).

Can anyone help please? Which of these two cards could be the better option for an aging 2010 cMP that has recently bailed out of the hard disk train in favour of SSDs all around (and working superbly like that)?

PS: congratulations to you guys for this outstanding resource. Keeping this amazing machine competitive after 10 years is a remarkable feat, not possible without your efforts!

Jose
For what its worth, I'm using the HighPoint SSD7101-1 with 2x970 Pro (cuz its MLC) and get reasonable write/read speeds Check out #653 & #663

Last edited:
Reactions: jafonso

orytek

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Even if you get the 7103 you won't be able to boot off it's raid in Mac OS.
Apple doesn't allow booting from raid volumes since Mojave.

The raid boot feature on the 7103 is for Windows 10 and maybe Linux.
So it could possibly boot from raid in BootCamp if you could even install BootCamp on a raid, but not Mojave or Catalina.

Last edited:

jafonso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Lisbon
Even if you get the 7103 you won't be able to boot off it's raid in Mac OS.
Apple doesn't allow booting from raid volumes since Mojave.

The raid boot feature on the 7103 is for Windows 10 and maybe Linux.
So it could possibly boot from raid in BootCamp if you could even install BootCamp on a raid, but not Mojave or Catalina.

I thought as much, but I believe it has been shown already this is not completely so (#123)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I thought as much, but I believe it has been shown already this is not completely so (#123)

You can boot any HighPoint SSD71xx card, but you can't boot a RAID array after Mojave. Bootable RAID arrays are only supported with HFS, so, support ends with 10.13.6. APFS still don't have official support for RAID arrays.

It's the Mac Pro BootROM firmware that makes SSD71xx cards bootable, not the HighPoint firmware. You can use any of the SSD71xx cards with one bootable M.2 blade and 3 others for an array.

High Point SSD7103 is card made to be bootable with Windows/PCs, the additions to make it bootable won't work with macOS at all and without it, it's just a SSD7101A-1 for the purpose of a Mac Pro, MP5,1 or MP7,1.

jafonso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Lisbon
I stand corrected (re-reading the cited post I had missed it was referring to High Sierra concerning the boot capabilities).

So, for a 5,1 on Mojave both will provide similar results? I guess that means the 7101 is probably the safest bet? (At least it has been tested much more frequently, from reading these forums...).

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
Anyone know if HighPoint is planning to support Monterey with new drivers for their RAID cards? I can't find any indication on their website, and Monterey is due out in September or October.

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
I guess my question about drivers for Monterey doesn't apply to this discussion, since 2010 Macs will never run Monterey.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I have an SSD7103 that I've had for close to two years. I used it in my 5,1 cMP and now in my 7,1 NcMP. I don't use use it for Raid nor do I have HighPoint drivers installed. I boot from SSDs on the card. I'm currently running Big Sur & Monterey.

Lou

Reactions: yakult121
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.