Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datboi_gfx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Panama City
(Mid 2010) Mac Pro Problems

Recently my dad’s Mac Pro (mid 2010) started having an issue where it couldn’t turn on at all so we tried fixing this computer as it is a really reliable and strong machine which has never failed him before. *NOTE: We are doing this ourselves as the computer is already vintage and our ASPs (no Apple stores in Panama) won’t fix it*.

The machine does not make the bong sound as when we press the power button it does absolutely nothing. We tried replacing the PSU and it started working but only for an afternoon until it suddenly shut down while my father was watching YouTube videos to stress it a little bit (no kernel panic, no nothing). After that the problem started again so we gave the Mac to a friend who replaced the logic board battery and we put a new thermal paste but nothing happened. Our friend told us that the LB is not getting any power from the PSU although its new and its perfectly working.

My dad already ordered a PC from Amazon but we still wan’t to fix this as we don’t want to leave such a good machine in the trash.

Specs:
- Mac Pro 5,1
- Quad Core Xeon
- 16GB RAM
- ATI RADEON HD 5770

ATTEMPTED:
- THERMAL PASTE CHANGE
- PSU CHANGE
- CLEANED
- LB BATTERY CHANGE

If anyone knows how to fix this I would really appreciate some help
BTW: English is not my first language so sorry if I said something wrong.
This is also my first time posting in this forum.

ldfa

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2018
(Mid 2010) Mac Pro Problems

Recently my dad’s Mac Pro (mid 2010) started having an issue where it couldn’t turn on at all so we tried fixing this computer as it is a really reliable and strong machine which has never failed him before. *NOTE: We are doing this ourselves as the computer is already vintage and our ASPs (no Apple stores in Panama) won’t fix it*.

The machine does not make the bong sound as when we press the power button it does absolutely nothing. We tried replacing the PSU and it started working but only for an afternoon until it suddenly shut down while my father was watching YouTube videos to stress it a little bit (no kernel panic, no nothing). After that the problem started again so we gave the Mac to a friend who replaced the logic board battery and we put a new thermal paste but nothing happened. Our friend told us that the LB is not getting any power from the PSU although its new and its perfectly working.

My dad already ordered a PC from Amazon but we still wan’t to fix this as we don’t want to leave such a good machine in the trash.

Specs:
- Mac Pro 5,1
- Quad Core Xeon
- 16GB RAM
- ATI RADEON HD 5770

ATTEMPTED:
- THERMAL PASTE CHANGE
- PSU CHANGE
- CLEANED
- LB BATTERY CHANGE

If anyone knows how to fix this I would really appreciate some help
BTW: English is not my first language so sorry if I said something wrong.
This is also my first time posting in this forum.

Hello

Try to check the Leds Diag on the logic board after press DIAG LED button.

datboi_gfx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Panama City
Hello

Try to check the Leds Diag on the logic board after press DIAG LED button.

got it ill try it out
[doublepost=1541176395][/doublepost]

I would try the AHT as I still have it from when the computer was bought but the thing is that the computer doesn't power put at all aside from the PSU red light when I plug in the cord. Thanks for the suggestion though and I will 100% try it if I get it to boot further!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Did you consider the Genius bar? It is worth a try... My suspicion is you got PS fried again..

datboi_gfx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Panama City
Did you consider the Genius bar? It is worth a try... My suspicion is you got PS fried again..

I had a theory that the new PSU got fried for the same reason as the old one but I wasn't sure well now I atleast know that I'm not the only one who thinks thats possible.

About the Genius Bar I might go to ask them what they think although the Mac is vintage. They might help as here in Panama we don't have Apple stores but we do have ASPs like "Mac Power" and "Mac Store".

I might have to go to Mac Power later on after I try what ldfa suggested.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I had a theory that the new PSU got fried for the same reason as the old one but I wasn't sure well now I atleast know that I'm not the only one who thinks thats possible.

About the Genius Bar I might go to ask them what they think although the Mac is vintage. They might help as here in Panama we don't have Apple stores but we do have ASPs like "Mac Power" and "Mac Store".

I might have to go to Mac Power later on after I try what ldfa suggested.
If you have to buy again the PS I suggest buying it on eBay. I got used one for 100$ plus square trade 1 year warranty for 18$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.