Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanmadzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
San Jose
Hi there,

I was wondering, with the multitude of applications that are going to be meant for use on the new Mac Pro, what are their GPU requirements?

With all these high-power GPU MPX Modules available, will the applications that are meant to be used by them actually need all that GPU power? I am wondering if a fully configured Mac Pro 2019 (MPX Modules + Afterburner) is overkill?

I know high resolution video editing will probably need Afterburner and more GPU, but what about audio editing, photo shop, video rendering, 3D, etc.?

I would appreciate any insight... thanks!

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
depends on your workflow/app, that simple.

you need to give lots more info for something that complex so the only ones ill comment on are
just audio -
that's not going to use the gpu
photoshop -
if you want 10 bit display you need a gpu with 10 bit out and a 10 bit display + calibrated workflow

for any single app check their support and your workflow.

do you have an example or more detailed question?

(are you talking any PCI card or just GPU?)

alanmadzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
San Jose
depends on your workflow/app, that simple.

you need to give lots more info for something that complex so the only ones ill comment on are
just audio -
that's not going to use the gpu
photoshop -
if you want 10 bit display you need a gpu with 10 bit out and a 10 bit display + calibrated workflow

for any single app check their support and your workflow.

do you have an example or more detailed question?

(are you talking any PCI card or just GPU?)
Makes sense.. sorry. Maybe you can answer this question then.... would there be a need for increased storage (like NVMe) if GPU requirements are increased based on the application?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Makes sense.. sorry. Maybe you can answer this question then.... would there be a need for increased storage (like NVMe) if GPU requirements are increased based on the application?
Storage and GPU usage are not correlated in any way.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
maybe depends on case, your going to relay have to name a workflow as it will depend on per app.

Have to say if you want to buy a macpro and spend that much then you want to be using NVME drives at least for the OS drive, whats an extra £500 or so once you spend 10K on a computer ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.