Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtommi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
Hi there,

I've just installed my new Mac Pro 2019 and now I'm wondering, if (and how) I can connect my Rode VideoMic Pro + to my Mac to record audio/ speech with best possible quality. Apple sells an adapter from usb c to mic jack but the new Mac Pro is not listed under "compatible Macs". Any ideas or do I have to buy a usb mic?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Raoul

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Amazon sells this adapter along with many others. Amazon's listing for the Apple product:

Lou

rtommi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
I will give the onboard audio jack a go. I thought it was for speakers only. Silly me. Thanks for the replies.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I also thought it was an audio out jack. I'm using it for power to my Klipsch system. Apple calls it a "Headphone jack" not an audio jack. When I look into the "Sound" "Preference Panel" under "Output" it lists "Headphone port". The port is not listed under "input".

The Mac's that Apple lists as being compatible also have headphone jacks.

Lou

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I've just installed my new Mac Pro 2019 and now I'm wondering, if (and how) I can connect my Rode VideoMic Pro + to my Mac to record audio/ speech with best possible quality. Apple sells an adapter from usb c to mic jack but the new Mac Pro is not listed under "compatible Macs". Any ideas or do I have to buy a usb mic?

Have you looked at this?

I'd personally look into getting an audio USB interface for the most flexibility moving forward if you do not already have one. MOTU M2/M4 are popular, so are Focusrite Scarlett. Even the cheaper Behringer U-PHORIA models would do the trick. MP7,1 does not ship standard with the ports/configs/adapters necessary for quality audio recording.

rtommi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
I might give the Rode NTUSB a try. It comes with usb so that should do the trick. I will take a closer look at some reviews and then make a decision.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Be careful. The port on the MP7,1 allows for headsets (like from an old iPhone when they still had 3.5mm ports).

So if you can convert your microphone to have its contacts only where the microphone is on the headset: yes that should work. But a regular 3.5mm connection on a microphone will connect the microphone to the output instead of the input.

Last edited:
Reactions: OkiRun

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Be careful. The port on the MP7,1 allows for headsets (like from an old iPhone when they still had 3.5mm ports).

So if you can convert your microphone to have its contacts only where the microphone is on the headset: yes that should work. But a regular 3.5mm connection on a microphone will connect the microphone to the output instead of the input.
Not sure where this fits in the discussion ~
but a Black Yeti Microphone USB cable into a USB-C adapter into the top Tb port of the 7.1 works just fine.

worldburger

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008

"3.5 mm headphone jack: Plug in stereo headphones or speakers to experience high-quality sound while listening to music or watching movies. Or plug in an analog headset with a built-in mono microphone to make audio and video calls."

@s66 is correct. The 3.5mm jack is essentially a TRRS (Left, Right, Ground, Mic).

Something like this will work to route a 3.5mm mic signal to the right spot on the TRRS plug.

Royal Raider

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
After trying a few different things I found you can use the headphone port on a Mac Pro to plug a mic in directly. Open AUDIO MIDI SETUP and switch audio source from OUTPUT to INPUT. Bewm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.