Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyboy3344

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016

Attachments

• mac_pro_3.1.jpg
    mac_pro_3.1.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 2,599

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
intersting! i have no idea but i would guess that it is a diagnostic port used in the manufacturing/testing process. I am curious if someone actually does know. You could always ask Apple ;-)

dannyboy3344

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
intersting! i have no idea but i would guess that it is a diagnostic port used in the manufacturing/testing process. I am curious if someone actually does know. You could always ask Apple ;-)

Yeah its what I thought... was hoping for a cool rare chip add-on ;)

Spacedust

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
The same is in Mac Pro 4,1-5,1 - called Little Frank and Big Frank

2009-Mac-Pro-Big-Frank-Little-Frank.jpg

Must be some special Apple service connector ;)

Reactions: Petri Krohn

Lenry

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
Intel used to have a motherboard or some part of a motherboard they called the Zappa. Zappa'
s estate didn't like them taking Frank's name in vain however. Maybe there is a connection, since it's right next to an intel chip.

The same is in Mac Pro 4,1-5,1 - called Little Frank and Big Frank

2009-Mac-Pro-Big-Frank-Little-Frank.jpg

Must be some special Apple service connector ;)
Does anyone know what this connector on the mac pro 3.1 (2008) is ? (to the left of the x16 pci) slot https://goo.gl/photos/RyaBCXbvJtM3SnBt8

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I think that's some sort of diagnostics/debugging connector for the system management controller.

On the MP3,1 and earlier, there's only one chipset controlling the whole system. On the MP4,1 and later, there's two- one on the backplane board (the big PCB that has the PCI-e slots on it), and another located on the CPU daughter card. AFAIK, it's the same chip on both sides of the system (called the "Primary SMC" and "Secondary SMC" in the service manual), so it'd make sense that they'd be named Big Frank and Little Frank.

-SC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.