Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StormLord

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hi all
I'm trying to install a EFI flashed amd 7970 on my Mac Pro 3,1 with Mojave 10.14.5 with no success..
I even installed a clean 10.14.5 with dosdude patch 1.3.3 without legacy display driver but with amd metal driver sse4.1 patch, but as soon OSX tries to open the GUI the display goes out of signal.
That mean that the driver for amd is not loaded. Anyone had any luck with this amd metal sse4.1 patch?

I even tried on an Mojave install I had with my GTX8800 with legacy display driver patch, I tried to install the metal driver patch from patch updater and even it tries to install and asks for a reboot, the patch updater after the restart shows that there is no patch installed.

Having legacy video driver patch installed I can boot into Mojave with my HD7970 and have display but it is obvious there is no acceleration.

Is there a way to manually install the patch ?
on netkas post says that the file must be installed on system/library/extensions/amdmtlbronzedriver.bundle/contents/macos/
and then chmod and chown the file before reboot

I don't know what permissions does the file need to have, and I just chmod 777 the file before copying it to the location because it does not let me do it after copying it, but that didn't do anything..
Any help?

Last edited:

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Install the SSE patch via the dosdude patch tool. That way you won’t have to deal with the permissions.

Sign it with ldid (install ldid via brew) and that “might” make it work.
Otherwise use the disable library validation kext instead. I’m using the kext and intend to try ldid but I’ve not gotten around to it yet.

Note I’m using a 580 not a 7970.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
chmod 755, chown 0:0

the file is already ldid-ed and works for me with no DisableLibraryValidation.kext

StormLord

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I have tried many different types of install, on my x.14.5.02 already on my soft raid setup(with also legacy display patch for my GTX8800),
1) via dosdude patch tool from USB,
2) from patch updater (re-install option) although it says the patch version is 0, and
3) via downloading from Netkas forum and copy it to apropriate path and also ldid it.
4) I have installed via kext wizard the disable validation kext and is reported as loaded on system profiler

I also created a new x.14.5.02 setup USB with dosdude1 1.3.3 patcher and clean install (only with 7970 in the PCI) in another internal disk, after the first reboot I patched the installation without legacy display patch but with Netkas sse4.1 patch and when it booted just before the GUI loads screen goes out of sync, (mind you I use a VGA monitor).
What extensions should be loaded when metal amd driver is loaded and active?

I will just try chmod and chown as per netkas instruction on both installations and will report shortly .

StormLord

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I tried also chmod 755 and chown 0:0 on both installations and nothing happened.
I also tried just for the sake of testing a new 10.11.6 installation and the amd7000controller was reported as loaded, GUI was snappy and accelerated but Heaven and GFXBench GL scored really low.
My card is an VTX7970 3GB (reference black board 1 DVI,1 HDMI,2 MDP) flashed with EFI ROM created with netkas script and r17 mod for 5GT/s link speed

I don't know if I can help with any kind of log or what to try more
Maybe I will try my bootcamp installation with some benchmark to see if the card is working correctly but no idea more than that...

StormLord

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Today I tried few things, just to clarify, the card is a VTX 7970.
I have flashed it with EFI support for boot screens and it does output boot screen to my VGA monitor via dvi/i-vga but when Mojave tries to load the GUI the screen goes black permanently.
I also had an Mac Pro 5,1 to test it so I tried with the same monitor with the same dvi-vga adapter and the same thing happen, so that got me into thinking.
I tried with a mdp-vga adapter on the 5,1 and the bootcreen works on both mdp ports and also it does initialise correctly showing the GUI of Mojave and full accelerated, also it works correctly on hdmi port with boot screen and GUI initialisation. Also DVI is working correctly as digital output but not with dvi-vga adapter except on bootscreen.

I put the card back on the 3,1 and there is no boot screen on any port except on DVI with dvi-vga adapter!
I also tried to change the port from dvi-vga to mDP-vga after the OS have been loaded to no avail...
That got me confused even more, and I'm not sure now if the problem is the SSE4.1 patch or something different.

I think there is some different between 3,1 and 5,1 Mac Pros on how they handle the EFI screens as in 3,1 I don't have EFI screen on any other port except dvi-vga.

P.S I tried this card on my 3,1 with El Capitan and it works correctly via dvi-vga

Last edited:

Polarmuppet

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2019
You might be onto something with the EFI behaving differently. I have a different setup with a 3.1 running high Sierra with a flashed Nvidia GTX 680. I’m using a high res QHD monitor which has a higher resolution than the max resolution for the boot screen. As a result I can only boot up with my monitor connected to the DVI port on the Mac using a DVI to HDMI adapter. I can then use any port when I get to the OS, which then uses the full resolution of my monitor.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Why 79xx card?

I wouldn’t expect it to work with this patch for the metal driver. What kext and other bundles does it use?

The 3,1 and 5,1 do behave differently for booting but I don’t know if that would be a cause for your behavior. I have a flashed GTX 650 with dual dvi and dual hdmi, I don’t recall having any issue getting a boot screen from any of the ports. I also have a flashed 5770 that I don’t recall having any issues with the boot screen coming on any display I needed.

You can get a boot screen with the RX 5 series cards on the 3,1 without having it flashed if you use the right version of refind with an extra driver borrowed from clover.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I tried also chmod 755 and chown 0:0 on both installations and nothing happened.
I also tried just for the sake of testing a new 10.11.6 installation and the amd7000controller was reported as loaded, GUI was snappy and accelerated but Heaven and GFXBench GL scored really low.
My card is an VTX7970 3GB (reference black board 1 DVI,1 HDMI,2 MDP) flashed with EFI ROM created with netkas script and r17 mod for 5GT/s link speed

I don't know if I can help with any kind of log or what to try more
Maybe I will try my bootcamp installation with some benchmark to see if the card is working correctly but no idea more than that...
Try disabling SIP if it isn't already

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.