Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tradrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Hi All, Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Was away from my Mac Pro 3,1 for 6 months, came home, set it up, and...nothing:
- Power comes on, but no chime (and obviously no boot)
- Only diagnostic LED’s #2 (yellow, for trickle power) and #8 (green, for power) illuminate. #’s 7 (GPU) and 9 (EFI) do not light
- Fan in nVidea GPU is running, have tried reseating it and switching the power booster slot (and removing everything, including RAM, drives, etc) but nothing changes
- Oh, and this is embarrassing, but not sure what GPU I have, but I believe it’s an original spec if that means anything (how does one tell just by looking at it?!)

Is my logic board shot? Any way to test that? Any other suggestions? Thanks again

tradrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Apologies, but I’m giving this a bump to see if anyone has any suggestions. I’d like to get this setup going and can’t seem to find anything closer to certainty here—a bunch of people have had chimes come on, so they seem like GPU issues, I’m not getting past the power up. Thanks.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
If it were mine and I had just pulled it from storage...

I would pull all the devices (including ram/CPU Tray/GPU/PCIe cards/drives), clean all connection contact areas with compressed air at a minimum. Reinstall everything and try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: tradrock

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Also, try a PRAM reset. I think the chime gets turned off if the volume is muted in macOS. Speaker could have come unplugged too, I suppose.

Try googling for the service manual PDF. I know there is a really comprehensive one out on the web for the 2009/2010.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
- Oh, and this is embarrassing, but not sure what GPU I have, but I believe it’s an original spec if that means anything (how does one tell just by looking at it?!)
Every original Apple GPU has a part number on it.

Apple HD2600XT, the 2008 original GPU, is 630-8924.
0711F463-1D8B-4948-9482-83C6F1D796BC.jpeg

[doublepost=1535267027][/doublepost]Btw, it’s a 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) or a 2009 (4,1) one?

tradrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Thanks guys for the input. Am away again till Tuesday but will update. Thanks again for the assistance. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.