Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dh373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
Denver, CO
So I've got a Mac Pro 4,1 that is working just fine. But cosmetically, the case is all scratched up and dented. And I've got a Mac Pro 1,1 that isn't working. But the case is beautiful. So my question: Can I gut both cases and move the 4,1 innards into the 1,1 case?

Yes, I've googled it. Extensively. Couldn't find any solid info one way or the other. A lot of stuff about upgrades. And cross-transplants (new case of same generation). But not transplants across generations, much less specifically the case. Are the motherboard standoffs in the same location?

I could just go ahead and try, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it already. And if so, did it work? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So I've got a Mac Pro 4,1 that is working just fine. But cosmetically, the case is all scratched up and dented. And I've got a Mac Pro 1,1 that isn't working. But the case is beautiful. So my question: Can I gut both cases and move the 4,1 innards into the 1,1 case?

Yes, I've googled it. Extensively. Couldn't find any solid info one way or the other. A lot of stuff about upgrades. And cross-transplants (new case of same generation). But not transplants across generations, much less specifically the case. Are the motherboard standoffs in the same location?

I could just go ahead and try, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it already. And if so, did it work? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!
It's totally different internally and the ports on the back don't even match, look at the Firewire ports. MP1,1 SATA connections are on the case with metallic supports, MP4,1/5,1 SATA ports are on the backplane, SATA caddies are different size too. CPU tray cage of MP4,1 can't fit a MP1,1 case.

The best you can do, with lots of stand-off moving is to upgrade a MP1,1 case to MP3,1 logic board.

dh373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
Denver, CO
It's totally different internally and the ports on the back don't even match, look at the Firewire ports. MP1,1 SATA connections are on the case with metallic supports, MP4,1/5,1 SATA ports are on the backplane, SATA caddies are different size too. CPU tray cage of MP4,1 can't fit a MP1,1 case.

The best you can do, with lots of stand-off moving is to upgrade a MP1,1 case to MP3,1 logic board.

Thank you for the note. I do see the differences you mention. But if I compare (and measure) the cases, just looking at the aluminum, the two have exactly the same openings in the same places - front, back, and sides. The only thing that keeps the side doors from being interchangeable are three rubber bumpers on the 1,1 door that could be peeled off (and presumably re-mounted; I haven't tried). The 4,1 door fits right on the 1,1 case. Sure the speed of what is hooked up to those openings is different, but the spacing on everything I can test without pulling it all apart match.

What I'm wondering is if you gut it all the way down to just the aluminum case and move everything that is not the outer case over, will that work? The SATA tray assembly (what the trays slide in to) appears to be screwed in on both models, and thus could presumably be swapped, solving the SATA tray depth difference. What I can't measure without fully disassembling both of them is the logic board attachment points.

To reiterate, I'm not talking about making a Frankenstein out of a mix of parts. I'm talking about talking everything but the outer shell over. Has anyone tried this?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you for the note. I do see the differences you mention. But if I compare (and measure) the cases, just looking at the aluminum, the two have exactly the same openings in the same places - front, back, and sides. The only thing that keeps the side doors from being interchangeable are three rubber bumpers on the 1,1 door that could be peeled off (and presumably re-mounted; I haven't tried). The 4,1 door fits right on the 1,1 case. Sure the speed of what is hooked up to those openings is different, but the spacing on everything I can test without pulling it all apart match.

What I'm wondering is if you gut it all the way down to just the aluminum case and move everything that is not the outer case over, will that work? The SATA tray assembly (what the trays slide in to) appears to be screwed in on both models, and thus could presumably be swapped, solving the SATA tray depth difference. What I can't measure without fully disassembling both of them is the logic board attachment points.

To reiterate, I'm not talking about making a Frankenstein out of a mix of parts. I'm talking about talking everything but the outer shell over. Has anyone tried this?

It's not the same, MP4,1 have two FW800 ports on the back, MP1,1 and MP2,1 have one FW400 and one FW800.

Btw, where you gonna fix the CPU tray? You are going to precision fit the CPU tray supports how?

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
With a 2,1 or 3,1 this swap would be doable. But not with a 4,1. The internal changes with the 4,1 introducing the CPU tray were significant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.