Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wyga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2021
Hi,
I have got the old Mac Pro 4.1 (early 2009) with GTX 680. I get the display when it's past the boot but while in boot mode there is just nothing, black screen.
So, the problem I am having is just clearly I've got to completely reinstall the mac OS and just because I can't see anything while booting I can't do that.
Any ideas?

PS. I've got also Nvidia GT 320 but unfortunately no AMD/ATI Radeon cards, all of them just died.

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You're going to need a compatible video card in that Mac Pro that shows the boot process. Check eBay to see if you can pick one up at a reasonable price.

lovely666

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2006
Do you only need to see the boot process to select the osx usb installer to boot from?

I would just guess, i mean hold alt/option down on startup, wait 30 seconds, press left arrow once and enter.

The other option if you've got sip disabled is to bless the usb stick.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I would just guess, i mean hold alt/option down on startup, wait 30 seconds, press left arrow once and enter.
This is a popular misconception: without a Mac-EFI graphics card, holding the option key at boot will not bring up the Apple Startup Manager; it can't even be used "blindly."

BubbaMc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Even with a flashed card, if you're using a 4k 60Hz display, you won't get a boot screen (maybe just the last few seconds).

lovely666

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2006
This is a popular misconception: without a Mac-EFI graphics card, holding the option key at boot will not bring up the Apple Startup Manager; it can't even be used "blindly."
Ah, i assumed it would work. I've always used the bless method myself.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019

Reactions: wyga

wyga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2021
Thanks, I have actually found out similar post a few minutes after I have created mine.
I guess only proper way to do it will be just to try flash the GTX 680 which I will certainly try later on.

The poor device actually goes for sale and as for OS it is still running but I've got to clean it completely. I went sort of around it just by deleting the user account, data and such. It wasn't used for web developing so apart from user catalog it should be fine.

However I have to wipe clean other local HDDs and as far as I've seen diskutil secureErase won't work while logged in to the system and apparently has to be done in recovery mode. So again either going the alternative route and using other machine to wipe it or I guess I gotta try flash the GTX 680.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks, I have actually found out similar post a few minutes after I have created mine.
I guess only proper way to do it will be just to try flash the GTX 680 which I will certainly try later on.

The poor device actually goes for sale and as for OS it is still running but I've got to clean it completely. I went sort of around it just by deleting the user account, data and such. It wasn't used for web developing so apart from user catalog it should be fine.

However I have to wipe clean other local HDDs and as far as I've seen diskutil secureErase won't work while logged in to the system and apparently has to be done in recovery mode. So again either going the alternative route and using other machine to wipe it or I guess I gotta try flash the GTX 680.
Install macOS to one of your wiped disks, boot from it, then wipe your previous boot disk.

Reactions: BubbaMc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.