Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vivavn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
The four internal SATA ports on my mac pro stopped working all of the sudden. I have to use the 2 ports for the DVD drivers for my hard drives now. I tried. to clear PRAM, SMC, taking the CMOS battery out ... without any success. I recently moved my mac pro on a Uhaul truck that may help with the diagnosis. Is there any else I can do?

zedex

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2018
Perth, WA
Unfortunately the answer is..... NO(!)

Here's the bright side. This happened to me awhile ago and I spent over a week** trying to troubleshoot the issue. DON'T SPEND ANOTHER MINUTE ON THIS ISSUE and you will have achieved a victory of sorts.

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS PROBLEM / BLESSING

(1) The 2 remaining SATA ports (UPPER and LOWER) will be bootable so it doesn't limit you quite as much as you may have initially thought.
(2) You HAVE lost the DATA connection in ports 1-4 BUT.. you still have SATA POWER in each of these 4 ports. Again making them more useful than they first appear to be.
(3) This is a rare event that has only one side-effect (loss of the SATA ports) -- when you think about it, it's very good to know that your system will otherwise perform perfectly (no cascading effects, long term unintended consequences etc)

I'll follow up with another post including pictures that will transform this curse in to a blessing (or at least remove some of the residual irritation associated with losing some minor system functionality).

** this first happened to me about 4 years ago. I realised the problem started after I dropped a pair of pliers on the motherboard backplane after doing a PCIe card installation. I now know the pliers must have fallen on / broke off / damaged a small chip or capacitor on the motherboard. I've never been able to confirm the name, type or location of the component damaged.

Apart from my own experience, I have come across one other member here that reported this anomaly (or 'begged for help!'). Congrats for isolating it down to the UHAUL transportation event and I hope I've saved you from wasting any more time on this vexing little problem. ;)

vivavn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Does it mean I can use a PCIe card to expand my storage capability while I still need to draw power from the other 4 ports?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.