Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgaliano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Hello Friends,

I have a 4,1 flashed for 5,1 firmware, i do last update of 5,1 firmware with instaler of High Sierra, current is: MP51.0089.B00

I stuck in install of Catalina with Dos Dude method, in second progress bar computer finish process, reboot and load a gray screen and not go ahead, i do these process many times with 10.15.7 from Dos Dude Download, Official Apple Download, Pack of Olarila, most recent i try with 10.15.4 and old Dos Dude patcher, same error in same step...:eek:

With Dos Dude method i can install sucessfull Mojave, but i have a AMD RX 5500 XT and dont run in Mojave... :(

Most recently i started install in a old 8,1 imac of Catalina 10.15.4 usb stick and finish process, i take this ssd with this install and run ok on these Mac Pro, but have insues with drivers... Audio dont run and RX 5500 XT not loaded drivers...

Any buddy can help me or give a trick for finish these instalation? Any know about these errors in install? Is possible run this graphic card without reinstall complete system?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello Friends,

I have a 4,1 flashed for 5,1 firmware, i do last update of 5,1 firmware with instaler of High Sierra, current is: MP51.0089.B00

I stuck in install of Catalina with Dos Dude method, in second progress bar computer finish process, reboot and load a gray screen and not go ahead, i do these process many times with 10.15.7 from Dos Dude Download, Official Apple Download, Pack of Olarila, most recent i try with 10.15.4 and old Dos Dude patcher, same error in same step...:eek:

With Dos Dude method i can install sucessfull Mojave, but i have a AMD RX 5500 XT and dont run in Mojave... :(

Most recently i started install in a old 8,1 imac of Catalina 10.15.4 usb stick and finish process, i take this ssd with this install and run ok on these Mac Pro, but have insues with drivers... Audio dont run and RX 5500 XT not loaded drivers...

Any buddy can help me or give a trick for finish these instalation? Any know about these errors in install? Is possible run this graphic card without reinstall complete system?
You need to update to BootROM/EFI version 144.0.0.0.0 before anything and you need a METAL GPU that works with High Sierra. RX 5500XT won't do since it requires Catalina to work, the key is High Sierra METAL support.

Before you ask, you can't update MP5,1 firmware from Catalina, the firmware don't even exists there.

See the thread below:

With 144.0.0.0.0 installed, see the OpenCore thread to know how to update past Mojave.

Last edited:

tgaliano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
You need to update to BootROM/EFI version 144.0.0.0.0 before anything and you need a METAL GPU that works with High Sierra. RX 5500XT won't do since it requires Catalina to work, the key is High Sierra METAL support.
I have original Nvidia GT 120 too, GT 120 run on Mojave to do firmware update.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
And have a Nvidia GTX 1050 ti compatible with High Sierra, but not in Mojave... Solution buy a RX580?
I don't remember if GTX 1050Ti is supported by High Sierra NVIDIA web drivers, people have being updating Mac Pros successfully with GTX 980/1080. You should try before buying anything.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, i use lastest Nvidia WebDriver on High Sierra...
Install High Sierra using GT120, fully update it to the most recent Security Updates, download the correct version of the NVIDIA web drivers, install it, reboot and check if it's working or not. If it's working, replace the GT120 for the GTX 1050Ti, download Mojave installer and open it, now you should successfully upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0.

Btw, get yourself a cheap Mojave/Catalina/BigSur supported GPU like GT 710/720/730 (any Kepler GPU). Your life will be so much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.