Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Hello everyone!

Long time mac user (iPhone, iMac, MacBook Air, iPod...) but new to this forum.

I have recently bought a Mac Pro 5.1 (2012) and made few upgrades: 1) Switched to CPU W3690 2) Connected 2 SSD's with Sonnet PCI-e --> SATA 3 card.

I also bought a 27" Cinema Led Display to match the computer and I am pretty happy about the setup so far :)

But... I am experiencing some minor problems that I really hope somebody can help me with:

1) For some reason my mac pro can't recognize my monitor as a "Cinema Led Display" but just some random 27" monitor when looking in "about this mac" but the right image is shown if I go do the display menu under "system preferences" - Hope it makes sense from the pictures :S

I have tried a lot: Unplugging computer/display, reset SMC/NVRAM, clean install of OS X but nothing works...

- Any suggestions?

2) Since I installed High Sierra and new CPU on the machine I thought it would be a good idea to make a check-up on the temperatures in the computer. I quickly installed "MacFanControl" and everything seemed fine. Tried to test the fans by going to manuel, push the fans to 2*stock RPM and back again to auto.

Everything seemed fine but...

When I tried resetting SMC/NVRAM to solve problem 1 the mac began to act a bit weird. It's like every 2-3 start-up I can hear 2 fans going up when the loading screen shows. The computer starts up and to my surprise PCI and PSU fan ran faster than normal. After 5-10s on desktop they slow down and everything goes back to stock RPM. Like I said it's not every start up this happens :S

- Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2018-02-17 kl. 17.24.47.png
    Skærmbillede 2018-02-17 kl. 17.24.47.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 378
  • Skærmbillede 2018-02-17 kl. 17.25.05.png
    Skærmbillede 2018-02-17 kl. 17.25.05.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 255
  • Skærmbillede 2018-02-17 kl. 17.27.32.png
    Skærmbillede 2018-02-17 kl. 17.27.32.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 234

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello everyone!

Long time mac user (iPhone, iMac, MacBook Air, iPod...) but new to this forum.

I have recently bought a Mac Pro 5.1 (2012) and made few upgrades: 1) Switched to CPU W3690 2) Connected 2 SSD's with Sonnet PCI-e --> SATA 3 card.

I also bought a 27" Cinema Led Display to match the computer and I am pretty happy about the setup so far :)

But... I am experiencing some minor problems that I really hope somebody can help me with:

1) For some reason my mac pro can't recognize my monitor as a "Cinema Led Display" but just some random 27" monitor when looking in "about this mac" but the right image is shown if I go do the display menu under "system preferences" - Hope it makes sense from the pictures :S

I have tried a lot: Unplugging computer/display, reset SMC/NVRAM, clean install of OS X but nothing works...

- Any suggestions?

2) Since I installed High Sierra and new CPU on the machine I thought it would be a good idea to make a check-up on the temperatures in the computer. I quickly installed "MacFanControl" and everything seemed fine. Tried to test the fans by going to manuel, push the fans to 2*stock RPM and back again to auto.

Everything seemed fine but...

When I tried resetting SMC/NVRAM to solve problem 1 the mac began to act a bit weird. It's like every 2-3 start-up I can hear 2 fans going up when the loading screen shows. The computer starts up and to my surprise PCI and PSU fan ran faster than normal. After 5-10s on desktop they slow down and everything goes back to stock RPM. Like I said it's not every start up this happens :S

- Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

1) Don't know what's the problem. Everything looks correct to me.

2) This is also normal. This SMC "bug" exist on the cMP for many years. Apple never ever try to fix it. As long as the fan speed can go back to idle shortly after you boot to desktop. There is nothing you need to do (and pretty much nothing you can do).

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
1) Don't know what's the problem. Everything looks correct to me.

2) This is also normal. This SMC "bug" exist on the cMP for many years. Apple never ever try to fix it. As long as the fan speed can go back to idle shortly after you boot to desktop. There is nothing you need to do (and pretty much nothing you can do).

1) Yeah me2. I have acces to another mac pro (2009) that uses the same monitor in "EL Capitan" and it shows perfect in "about this mac" :(

2) Well okay. Guess I have to live with it. Just weird to me that it for some reason suddenly started when I reset SMC/NVRAM for the first time trying to solve other problems :(
[doublepost=1518890138][/doublepost]1) Just to clarify further if somebody doesn't understand question 1. I KNOW that on some mac's with a Apple LED Cinema Display connected it shows the correct image/icon in "about this mac" under "display" but on mine it just shows some random black **** screen :)

Last edited:

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I submitted a bug report back with the first High Sierra beta for the Apple Displays (all of them) not showing the proper icon in system info. The problem finally appears to be resolved in the beta 10.13.4 on my 2012 cMP along with other GPU issues I've been experiencing. Hang tight.

Reactions: h9826790

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
I submitted a bug report back with the first High Sierra beta for the Apple Displays (all of them) not showing the proper icon in system info. The problem finally appears to be resolved in the beta 10.13.4 on my 2012 cMP along with other GPU issues I've been experiencing. Hang tight.

That sounds great!

Reactions: rawweb

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Some extra info for you. That "About This Mac" picture is editable. So, if you want it back, you can always do that by yourself (if Apple didn't clear that bug later). In fact, I did mod that public.generic.-lcd.icns file to properly display my current monitor's picture.
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 01.53.46.jpg

And I just check the resources database, the 27" ACD's icns file still there in 10.13.3. So, it should be very easy to manually "fix" it by ourselves.
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 01.56.31.jpg

But I personally suggest you just wait if that's already fixed in the 10.13.4 beta. Also, if that picture doesn't change after installing 10.13.4. You should clear the system cache, but not reset PRAM / SMC. That picture is actually cached by the OS. Without clearing the cache, the "About this Mac" may keep displaying the "old" picture.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
But I personally suggest you just wait if that's already fixed in the 10.13.4 beta. Also, if that picture doesn't change after installing 10.13.4. You should clear the system cache, but not reset PRAM / SMC. That picture is actually cached by the OS. Without clearing the cache, the "About this Mac" may keep displaying the "old" picture.

I can most definitely confirm in the beta for 10.13.4 it is fixed. The issue bugged me so much that I submitted multiple reports and even got a reply back in dev feedback that the issue is fixed in next update.

PS, jealous of that nice card you got in your cMP ;)

I'd have to pay about 10k to some cryptominer to find one of those chunks of gold.

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.