Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agungpambudi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
Hi, im new to this forum.

So im building my macpro 5,1 for editing and grading. The files are mostly coming from my Panasonic GH5 so its a 4k 10bit footage. So i install my zotac GTX 1080 mini.

I got the latest cuda driver and Nvidia web driver for OS Sierra 10.12.6

I edited the file in premiere pro cc 2017. After i finished editing, i converted the file to prores 422 4k and grade it in Davinci Resolve lite 14. Everything is fine but i notice some performance issue both on premiere and davinci.

The performance on premiere pro is not what i expected it to be. I got 30-50 dropped frames per 30 seconds playback with mercury playback engine. And i got 17fps playback on davinci resolve with prores 422 4k without grading node with CUDA acceleration on. Meanwhile my friend's hackintosh can run 4k Prores 422 smoothly with GTX 1060.

So my question is, is it normal with Mac pro and GTX 1080? Or am i missing something?
Any tips on improving the performance?

My system is:
- Mac Pro 5.1
- Dual Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz
- 32GB DDR3 1333Mhz
- 256 Boot SSD
- Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

Thank you!

Last edited:

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
I would recommend updating to High Sierra, as this would include far superior and never NVIDIA web drivers (on macOS they are revision dependant). Also remember that the Mac Pro has PCI 2.0 slots whereas most hackintoshs nowadays have PCI 3.0 slots.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Hi, im new to this forum.

So im building my macpro 5,1 for editing and grading. The files are mostly coming from my Panasonic GH5 so its a 4k 10bit footage. So i install my zotac GTX 1080 mini.

I got the latest cuda driver and Nvidia web driver for OS Sierra 10.12.6

I edited the file in premiere pro cc 2017. After i finished editing, i converted the file to prores 422 4k and grade it in Davinci Resolve lite 14. Everything is fine but i notice some performance issue both on premiere and davinci.

The performance on premiere pro is not what i expected it to be. I got 30-50 dropped frames per 30 seconds playback with mercury playback engine. And i got 17fps playback on davinci resolve with prores 422 4k without grading node with CUDA acceleration on. Meanwhile my friend's hackintosh can run 4k Prores 422 smoothly with GTX 1060.

So my question is, is it normal with Mac pro and GTX 1080? Or am i missing something?
Any tips on improving the performance?

My system is:
- Mac Pro 5.1
- Dual Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz
- 32GB DDR3 1333Mhz
- 256 Boot SSD
- Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

Thank you!

Your machine is strong on multicore, but maybe weak in singlecore. A cpu Upgrade to the X hex core 3,46 will improve your single core which is neccesary to bring your gpu power up.
Your gpu is blocked by low single core Score at the moment. However, Check and compare those two cpu, maybe Even with upgrade it wont be enough for you.

agungpambudi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
I would recommend updating to High Sierra, as this would include far superior and never NVIDIA web drivers (on macOS they are revision dependant). Also remember that the Mac Pro has PCI 2.0 slots whereas most hackintoshs nowadays have PCI 3.0 slots.

I'm aware that the MacPro 5.1 only has PCI 2.0 slot but i've done my research on it. And the bandwidth is enough for my GTX 1080.

Which High Sierra and web driver version are you referring to? I might want to try on that.
[doublepost=1543137279][/doublepost]
Your machine is strong on multicore, but maybe weak in singlecore. A cpu Upgrade to the X hex core 3,46 will improve your single core which is neccesary to bring your gpu power up.
Your gpu is blocked by low single core Score at the moment. However, Check and compare those two cpu, maybe Even with upgrade it wont be enough for you.

Yes, actually i just ordered dual X5690 and its on its way now. Although im not sure my processor is the problem. Are you working with Davinci Resolve as well with your machine? If so, how much FPS do you get from your setup with Prores 4k? Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Which High Sierra and web driver version are you referring to? I might want to try on that.

The latest one would be 387.10.10.10.40.108, but as it is version dependant you would need to upgrade to 10.13.6, build (17G3025). However the NVIDIA WebDriver preferences take care of installing the appropriate driver revision for your current system on their own.

zoomp

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Which flavour of PR are you using? What kind of performance you get testing your disk with blackmagic disk test? Prores is kinda light on CPU&GPU stress so I would guess data transfer is the bottleneck. 4k proxy is about the swme as HD 422 HQ, so you get the idea.

agungpambudi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
The latest one would be 387.10.10.10.40.108, but as it is version dependant you would need to upgrade to 10.13.6, build (17G3025). However the NVIDIA WebDriver preferences take care of installing the appropriate driver revision for your current system on their own.

I currently on Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1618) with Nvidia web driver 378.05.05.25f11 and Cuda driver 387.178.
If i upgrade to High Sierra and convert it to APFS, will it erase all of my data? I've tried using the high sierra at first, but my GTX 1080 just doesn't work with the driver then.

Which flavour of PR are you using? What kind of performance you get testing your disk with blackmagic disk test? Prores is kinda light on CPU&GPU stress so I would guess data transfer is the bottleneck. 4k proxy is about the swme as HD 422 HQ, so you get the idea.

Im using Premiere CC 2017. I'm using Samsung SSD on Sata 2 connection. Should be around 250mb/s

agungpambudi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
UPDATE...

I ran windows 10 via bootcamp on MacPro 5.1 and download Davinci Resolve 15 and tested it to see if my computer have hardware problems. Still the same specs.

And it was super smooth. Grade the same clip i was grading on Mac Sierra. From 17FPS avarage on Mac Sierra. I got full speed 25 FPS 4k 10bit footage without optimization media. Which was odd. Any idea what's going on?

Really want the same speed on my Mac OS Sierra.

Thanks in advance!

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
As I said. You use a really old version of the NVIDIA drivers that’s why. To get the latest NVIDIA Webdrivers for macOS update to the latest revision of High Sierra. That said, even then the performance will be properly worse than the windows one, as the NVIDIA macOS driver are kind of crappy.

agungpambudi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
As I said. You use a really old version of the NVIDIA drivers that’s why. To get the latest NVIDIA Webdrivers for macOS update to the latest revision of High Sierra. That said, even then the performance will be properly worse than the windows one, as the NVIDIA macOS driver are kind of crappy.

I will try upgrading to high sierra until my x5690 arrived. Will keep you posted. Thank you very much!

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Mac driver for GPUs have always been worse than the equivalent in Windows.

Not entirely true. Especially not for Intel ones, and not valid either for some AMD.
For instance the intel HD 4000 drivers on Mac support more features than on Windows. OpenGL 4.1 vs 4.0, though i‘m not sure about performance.
My external AMD Vega 56 also does get just under 30.000 points in luxmark whereas i‘ve never seen similar values on Windows even though it has a 4 times higher bandwidth (PCI 3.0 x4 vs x16).

Also now with Metal there has been reports that some games performance is actually better under macOS than with DirectX on windows on the same hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex Sanders74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.