Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JhnsSch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Hey there,

my Apple TV updated itself - well, as it does, it updated some problem in my setup once more - well, as it does..

When I try to connect to the conference display, i.e. use the Apple TV as second screen, I get sound, but no image, the screen stay's black.

4K Monitor
Samsung 32 inch UJ59 4k monitor (LU32J590UQNXZA) - UHD, 3840 x 2160p, 60hz, 4ms, Dual monitor, laptop monitor, monitor stand / riser / mount compliant, AMD FreeSync, Gaming, HDMI, DP, Black
+ Air Play Conference Display 4K LG TV...

I tried:

• Apple TV 4K (TV set to all possible resolutions & auto, Apple TV set to all possible resolutions & auto, main monitor set to all possible resolutions and trying to set all screens to the same resolution and frame rate, Turing HDR on/off,..
  • Apple TV (classic) 1080p (just to see if that just works - no)
  • Reboot
  • Deactivate all tools doing anything related
  • Uninstalled a tool (JustStream) - JustStream coincidentally did manage to mirror my screen to the TV/AppleTV, yet it has no option for second screen & the deinstallation and removal of the remaining junk did not affect what the conventional settings activation of AirPlay does.
  • Tried just streaming a video via QuickTime, works perfectly fine

Any ideas anyone?

I highly appreciate you sharing your wisdom. Have a great day!

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Are you saying you were able to Airplay your desktop to an AppleTV prior to the most recent tvOS update?

That would be news to me--AFAIK it's never been possible to do AirPlay Mirroring on the cMP, even with OpenCore and HWAccel enabled. That said, I haven't tried it myself in ages--my cMP is at work and all my AppleTVs are at home.

Recalling recent posts, I think some folks were able to use AirPlay within the context of iTunes or other apps that send a video to an AppleTV, but to my knowledge no one has gotten mirroring to work.

Would love to be wrong though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.