Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OVERKILL338LM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I have a 5,1 with a 3.2Ghz hex-core, 32GB of RAM, Mac-flashed GTX 680, and a Kingston 512GB SSD as the boot drive. Been running Mojave for the last few years and finally decided to go the OpenCore route the other day and install Big Sur.

Had a bit of a weird video issue with DisplayPort not working with HDMI connected on boot, got the workaround (boot without the HDMI connected) based on another thread and everything seems to be working well with one exception:

AirPlay.

Works fine when I'm using the computer. Streams flawlessly to my receiver. However, if I leave the computer and the display shuts off, once the delay for the lock screen happens, the music stops and then you get little "glitches" of music, just blips, and it doesn't resume, it just continues to do this. However, if you hit a key and login, the music goes back to playing normally once the lock screen is gone.

I'm going to experiment with disabling the screen lock (just let the display timeout, not lock) but wondering if anybody else has experienced this? It's a bit weird!

OVERKILL338LM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Well, without disabling screen lock, I:
- Updated the BootROM to 144.0.0.0.0
- Disabled sleep
- Disabled shutting off HDD's when possible

One of these seems to have solved the problem (I'm thinking it might have been the sleep one).

antonio.vazquez

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Well, without disabling screen lock, I:
- Updated the BootROM to 144.0.0.0.0
- Disabled sleep
- Disabled shutting off HDD's when possible

One of these seems to have solved the problem (I'm thinking it might have been the sleep one).
Hi
I have a problem related with airplay. The problem is that airplay speakers doesn't appear in the menu bar and when I try to reproduce from iTunes, after a couple of seconds appear a message indicating that speakers are not in the same wifi lan. If I try the same with Catalina (with Catalina Patcher) or from Mojave (natively) it works perfectly.

Any ideas?

I have boot rom updated to the same version prior to install Big Sur. The only thing that I have not tested yet is to disable sleep or shutting down hdd's (although the MP doesn't go to sleep mode, I receive the same message).

Do you have upgraded over Mojave installation?

Regards
Antonio

OVERKILL338LM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Hi
I have a problem related with airplay. The problem is that airplay speakers doesn't appear in the menu bar and when I try to reproduce from iTunes, after a couple of seconds appear a message indicating that speakers are not in the same wifi lan. If I try the same with Catalina (with Catalina Patcher) or from Mojave (natively) it works perfectly.

Any ideas?

I have boot rom updated to the same version prior to install Big Sur. The only thing that I have not tested yet is to disable sleep or shutting down hdd's (although the MP doesn't go to sleep mode, I receive the same message).

Do you have upgraded over Mojave installation?

Regards
Antonio
I have a fresh install of Big Sur. My AirPlay "worked" from the get-go with Big Sur, I just had the issue I mentioned in the OP with it cutting out, which has since been resolved as noted.

I'm playing to a Denon AVR-X4200W, but it also sees my Samsung TV. There's a separate issue with the Denon where the album art breaks the playback (you have to remove the image from the song and have Apple Music/iTunes download it from the Apple server) but that's a receiver issue, not an AirPlay one.

antonio.vazquez

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Thanks for your response.

Do you use OCLP to install Big Sur? Do you have patched the installation as soon as you have finish it?

I'm wondering which is the problem that avoid Airplay to work correctly.

Regards

OVERKILL338LM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your response.

Do you use OCLP to install Big Sur? Do you have patched the installation as soon as you have finish it?

I'm wondering which is the problem that avoid Airplay to work correctly.

Regards
Yes, I used the OpenCore Patcher, created a USB, installed a new SSD, booted the USB with OpenCore, installed Big Sur on the new SSD, then ran the Patcher again first installing it to the EFI partition on the new boot drive, then running the patcher against the OS on the clean install.

antonio.vazquez

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Thanks for the explanation. I'm trying to reproduce over a Sonos One speaker. In Catalina (with Catalina Patcher) appears normally in iTunes and speaker icon. In Big Sur, when I click over speaker icon Sonos doesn't appear and in iTunes, although it appears, when I click in the icon, after a while I receive a message that shows that my speaker is not in the same LAN.

Do you have changed WIFI card? Which version of Big Sur have you installed?

Sorry for the questions but it's the first thread where I have seen that somebody has airplay working. In unsupported thread somebody has told me that is a known issue in Big Sur and the only solution is to have a Metal Capable video card (my GT 630 seems to be Metal capable)

Thanks in advance.

Regards

OVERKILL338LM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the explanation. I'm trying to reproduce over a Sonos One speaker. In Catalina (with Catalina Patcher) appears normally in iTunes and speaker icon. In Big Sur, when I click over speaker icon Sonos doesn't appear and in iTunes, although it appears, when I click in the icon, after a while I receive a message that shows that my speaker is not in the same LAN.

Do you have changed WIFI card? Which version of Big Sur have you installed?

Sorry for the questions but it's the first thread where I have seen that somebody has airplay working. In unsupported thread somebody has told me that is a known issue in Big Sur and the only solution is to have a Metal Capable video card (my GT 630 seems to be Metal capable)

Thanks in advance.

Regards
I have the latest version of Big Sur, stock wireless, though I have it disabled as I am using Ethernet.

My vid card has Mac firmware but yes, yours would be the same in terms of capability.

OVERKILL338LM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Hi
could you tell me which is your BT and Wifi card?I think that me wifi card and yours is different.

Regards
Here:

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 5.30.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.48.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.48.32 AM.png

antonio.vazquez

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Thanks a lot.

All is the same except for CPU and GPU (but my GPU is Metal Capable too).

I don't know which is the difference between both installations.

Is it possible that you guide me?

I have reviewed several threads about this and the only thing that somebody tells me is that my GPU is unsupported in Big Sur.

Regards

OVERKILL338LM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Thanks a lot.

All is the same except for CPU and GPU (but my GPU is Metal Capable too).

I don't know which is the difference between both installations.

Is it possible that you guide me?

I have reviewed several threads about this and the only thing that somebody tells me is that my GPU is unsupported in Big Sur.

Regards
Well, I can't see the GPU having any sort of impact on AirPlay.

How I installed it:

I used the OpenCore install guide found here:

1. I downloaded OpenCore Legacy Patcher v0.3.3 (it looks like they've updated it since then) from here: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases

2. I downloaded Big Sur 11.6 using Munki's Utility, detailed here: https://caizhiyuan.gitee.io/opencore-install-guide/installer-guide/mac-install.html

mkdir -p ~/macOS-installer && cd ~/macOS-installer && curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/main/installinstallmacos.py > installinstallmacos.py && sudo python installinstallmacos.py

Formatted a USB (made sure it was GUID) as HFS+, called it MyVolume and then, after mounting the DMG downloaded above:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

**Note, it looks like this part has been baked into the OpenCore Legacy Patcher GUI now.**

3. Using a separate USB, I created an EFI bootable USB and chose "Build and Install OpenCore" from the OpenCore Legacy Patcher app, selecting this drive as the target.

4. I turned off my Mac. Installed a blank SSD. I had both USB's I created plugged into the front ports.

5. I turned the Mac back on, holding down the "Option" key as detailed here:

First selecting OpenCore, then Install MacOS Big Sur

I had to be careful to make sure it booted OpenCore first (maybe you don't have to, but I did) by holding down "Option" when the installer rebooted. Once I had a functional desktop, I plugged my old drive in via USB and ran the OpenCore Legacy Patcher again, but this time against my main volume.

I rebooted to ensure that all was well.

I then re-launched the OpenCore Legacy Patcher and hit "Patch System Volume".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.