Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Hello everyone,

I having a hard time with my Macpro 5.1, HD5770 Apple Gpu. dual processor xeon e5620 @2.4ghz, memory 16ghz... to make long story short.

The main issue surface after i have to replace the backplane and the powersupply at the same time, they are both new, not refurbished.

I got the power supply about a week ago, install them all together and since then it failed to boot.

when I pressed the power button, its On, fans are running, Diagnostic Led on board normal(as suggested in the service manual), Chime on, Apple logo and booting bar appear, but halfway about 60% it restart and continue to be like that.

Heres what i tried:

0. reset Pram/smc

1. Failed to enter recovery mode CMD+R and CMD+OPT+R for internet recovery

2. Wipe off the HD for clean install(using different computer), reinstall process stops at about 60% too. try installing the HD in the other mac and bring the HD over to MP5.1. it loads on the other mac, but not on the MP5.1

3. enter verbose mode stuck at appletymecdriver, i did try to delete the kext, off course failed because SIP is enable, and cant disable it because cant enter recovery mode. last shutdown cause by -128.

i wonder if theres a workaround to be able to delete this kext

4. Test with AHT and ASD, resulting in no hardware problem.

5. @tsialex recommend me to test the memory with memtest86, after few hours result is success with no memory issue.

Im kinda at the edge, any of you guys experiencing this?

ostrykolesz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Poland
Memtest failed to detect faulty RAM modules in my computer a few times.... I wouldn't be so sure it is not the memory.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
i tested it also with asd which was kinda thorough test, got no error aswell...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Test your CPU tray with another Mac Pro, your Mac Pro with a known working CPU tray.

Btw, Mac Pros older than late-2013 don't have Internet Recovery.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
a bit rare in my town.

Any other option?

im ordering a firewire cable to target disk mode. should be arrive in two days.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
a bit rare in my town.

Any other option?

im ordering a firewire cable to target disk mode. should be arrive in two days.
Your Mac Pro problem is memory subsystem related, could be the CPU tray itself, Xeons, QPI links, memory, sockets/connectors (1366 sockets and the backplane/CPU tray connectors) and etc.

Without testing each component with a working Mac Pro, you probably won't diagnose it. Right now the only thing that you can do is to test one Xeon at a time with CPU socket A.

ASD and AHT memory tests are most of the time useful only for Macs that don't have ECC memory.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Your Mac Pro problem is memory subsystem related, could be the CPU tray itself, Xeons, QPI links, memory, sockets/connectors (1366 sockets and the backplane/CPU tray connectors) and etc.

Without testing each component with a working Mac Pro, you probably won't diagnose it. Right now the only thing that you can do is to test one Xeon at a time with CPU socket A.

ASD and AHT memory tests are most of the time useful only for Macs that don't have ECC memory.
i will try to find one, its holiday here and i couldnt find a long hex to open the CPU.

one thing i notice that, if i do test like AHT, ASD, Memtest86, and login to single user mode, the MP5.1 works perfectly fine for hours.
but when i try to reinstall/fresh install, load Os, it just keep restarting, cant even reach recovery mode. thats why i tought it was a firmware or bootrom corrupt.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Stuck at appletymecdriver
If able to otherwise boot or enter recovery, try adding "-nehalem_error_disable" to your boot args to disable that kext.
You can also try installing "AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext" or using RefindPlus to add the boot arg if you are using this.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
If able to otherwise boot or enter recovery, try adding "-nehalem_error_disable" to your boot args to disable that kext.
You can also try installing "AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext" or using RefindPlus to add the boot arg if you are using this.
This is will just mask the problem, unless OP is installing Catalina or Big Sur.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
hey @tsialex I open and clean both of the processors,

switching it around is not a good idea, it doesnt chime, doesnt boot(halfway at least on my case), good idea to put it back as it is.

i tried installing only one processor, the fan ramp up to 100%.

i did however, clean and found some oxidizing connection which i clean and brush with a non grease contact cleaner

What i did was following the minimum config test. to a point where i need to install the GPU.

It went straight back to the problem. restart at about 75%.

Im trying to borrow a GPU from a friend to clarify this.

@tsialex one question: should my rx580 show video on a MP51.00089.B000 bootroom?, its crazy that both of my gpu dead because of this, what a price to pay! ;(

at some point i blindly press option when i install it in(rx 580) and then asssume the efi boot disk load, it doesnt restart , but i dont see any video.

it cant enter recovery. restart at 75% boot loading bar..

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
This is will just mask the problem, unless OP is installing Catalina or Big Sur.
Meant just to provide a way to get in if needed as opposed to trying to delete the kext as he/she tried.
Root issue needs to be fixed indeed.

That's why there was more than one option.
You need to tackle the root issue as pointed out though.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Meant just to provide a way to get in if needed as opposed to trying to delete the kext as he/she tried.
Root issue needs to be fixed indeed.

That's why there was more than one option.
You need to tackle the root issue as pointed out though.
It cant enter recovery mode, i did try to delete it from single user mode, but SIP blocked me.

any workaround in this? @Dayo

any suggestion is appreciated

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
hey @tsialex I open and clean both of the processors,

switching it around is not a good idea, it doesnt chime, doesnt boot(halfway at least on my case), good idea to put it back as it is.

i tried installing only one processor, the fan ramp up to 100%.

i did however, clean and found some oxidizing connection which i clean and brush with a non grease contact cleaner

What i did was following the minimum config test. to a point where i need to install the GPU.

It went straight back to the problem. restart at about 75%.

Im trying to borrow a GPU from a friend to clarify this.

@tsialex one question: should my rx580 show video on a MP51.00089.B000 bootroom?, its crazy that both of my gpu dead because of this, what a price to pay! ;(

at some point i blindly press option when i install it in(rx 580) and then asssume the efi boot disk load, it doesnt restart , but i dont see any video.

From the questions you ask and the way you post, this is the first time you worked on a Mac Pro, no?

Think a little here, if you changed the Xeons between sockets and your Mac Pro stopped working, you have a dead Xeon.

Running a dual CPU tray with just one Xeon installed at socket A will enter fail-safe mode and fans will run at 100%, full time.

A display connected on a RX 580 only works after the drivers are loaded by macOS and only if you are running 10.12.6 and newer. ASD/AHT or anything before 10.12.6 don't have Polaris drivers. RX 580 works with MP51.0089.B00 perfectly, it's not your problem.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
do you mean option is to install catalina or big sur?
Forget this completely, @Dayo suggestion is not applicable to your problem. You have a hardware problem, he is talking about a software problem that Catalina and Big Sur have with dual CPU Mac Pros.

Only install supported macOS releases until you are sure that you have a working Mac Pro.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
From the questions you ask and the way you post, this is the first time you worked on a Mac Pro, no?

Think a little here, if you changed the Xeons between sockets and your Mac Pro stopped working, you have a dead Xeon.

Running a dual CPU tray with just one Xeon installed at socket A will enter fail-safe mode and fans will run at 100%, full time.

A display connected on a RX 580 only works after the drivers are loaded by macOS and only if you are running 10.12.6 and newer. ASD/AHT or anything before 10.12.6 don't have Polaris drivers. RX 580 works with MP51.0089.B00 perfectly, it's not your problem.
@tsialex, yes, im fixing my own macpro that i use for work and i really3x need it during this time.

1. I dont know how MP will react if i only put one CPU. i was following the minimum config troubleshooting pdf, and it supposed to ON with normal fan speed. instead it runs 100%. is this mean cpu b is faulty?
hmm...when i test with memtest86 the other day, it shows only using one CPU and i cant do pararel either.
tell me more about this please.

2. Ok im installing an SSD with high sierra on my macbook pro right now, and will move it to the MP5.1 and back to MBP hoping that i will get something in the crash log.

Im from Bali Indonesia btw, if you're out here one day, ill show you around :)

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
My earlier post mentions three separate methods but you seem to only notice one.
Anyway, based on what @tsialex has posted, better you focus on the real hardware problem instead.
I cant enter recovery. which stopping me in disabling the SIP.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex, yes, im fixing my own macpro that i use for work and i really3x need it during this time.

1. I dont know how MP will react if i only put one CPU. i was following the minimum config troubleshooting pdf, and it supposed to ON with normal fan speed. instead it runs 100%. is this mean cpu b is faulty?
hmm...when i test with memtest86 the other day, it shows only using one CPU and i cant do pararel either.
tell me more about this please.

2. Ok im installing an SSD with high sierra on my macbook pro right now, and will move it to the MP5.1 and back to MBP hoping that i will get something in the crash log.

Im from Bali Indonesia btw, if you're out here one day, ill show you around :)
Again, a dual CPU tray with just one Xeon installed will enter SMC fail safe mode. When in fail safe mode, SMC will make all fans to run at full RPM, this is clearly explained in the Apple Technician Guide.

If you have one Xeon that is not working when installed in CPU socket A, you have a defective Xeon. You can have a partially defective one, that works just enough to not trigger ASD/AHT when running in a pair with a perfect one with socket A, but not to work at all when running alone.

From what you wrote, you have a defective QPI link, at least.

High Sierra is a supported macOS release and will work perfectly, after you solve your hardware problem.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Again, a dual CPU tray with just one Xeon installed will enter SMC fail safe mode. When in fail safe mode, SMC will make all fans to run at full RPM, this is clearly explained in the Apple Technician Guide.
oh I miss that one.

so i need to find a xeon..

or let me confirm that again.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
@tsialex

So I tested the CPU one by one;
Cpu A in CPU tray A: Chime ON, Fan Ramp Up to 100%,
Cpu B in CPU tray A: Chime OFF , Fan Ramp Up to 100%

I found a cheap CPU as we speak..i want to reconfim this to you before i buy it.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So, you confirmed that at least one Xeon is defective.

While matched pairs don’t exist for this Xeon generation, you need to buy one identical to the Intel SKU ( needs to be the exact same SKU version/frequency/model ) or another pair.

Priatnasuardi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Ok, mine is Xeon E5620 2.4gHz. i attach the CPU picture...i just need to get the same isnt it? ill upgrade it in the future, for now, if this work, itll do.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-15 at 1.06.28 AM.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.