Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tommydj10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2022
I have a dual CPU 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1 latest 144 update with upgraded CPUs. I have 4 sticks of 16GB HP ECC RAM part number: 647563-081 (tested and running). I would like to purchase 2 more so I can combine them in triple channel mode. I found on eBay this very similar 16GB modules part number: 628974-081. They both look having the same specs on paper: 1333mhz PC3-10600R Cl9 ECC Registered Dual Rank. Will they work together seamlessly, will they work but not at full performance, or won’t they work at all?

Here’s a link for the first one: eBay ram 1
Here’s a link for the second : eBay ram 2

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
HP is just relabeling the Elpida and Samsung DIMMs - mixing DIMMs from different manufacturers not always work. Try to buy the same DIMMs that you already have.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Almost forgot, using different DIMMs have a detrimental aspect even when work 100%, the MemoryConfig configuration variables inside the NVRAM volume will take even more space for the memory controller setup and SPD cache - a real problem nowadays when every byte inside the NVRAM counts.

Reactions: Tommydj10

Tommydj10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2022
Almost forgot, using different DIMMs have a detrimental aspect even when work 100%, the MemoryConfig configuration variables inside the NVRAM volume will take even more space for the memory controller setup and SPD cache - a real problem nowadays when every byte inside the NVRAM counts.
So the bottom line is: even if 2 RAM look the same on paper there might be “hidden”/underlying specs that don’t match, and this might give problems or slow down performance. Correct?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So the bottom line is: even if 2 RAM look the same on paper there might be “hidden”/underlying specs that don’t match, and this might give problems or slow down performance. Correct?
Yes, to avoid it, buy exactly the same DIMM as you already have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.