Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedreamsloft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Ireland
Hi,

I Recently purchased a Mac Pro 2010 westmere, 12 core (2x 6 core) machine from ebay, with view to creating a super mix machine that can handle all of the plugins that I use for my work.

I have researched extensively what I needed to do to get the machine running Mojave and although not on the officially supported Apple Website of graphics cards that are mojave compatible, I went for an AMD Radeon R9 280 - Club3d cheaply on ebay. I installed this card easily enough and then was delighted when I was able to successfully upgrade to Mojave and indeed be able to boot from a samsung 970 Pro NVME drive. Wow - the speed this booted at!

I was very happy with my upgrades until this point and I decided to change my hard disk icon to my business logo. I did this by copying the desired icon to the clipboard and then clicking the 'Get Info' option on right clicking the icon. I clicked the display icon on the top left of the info pane and hit control v to paste the icon and the whole computer shut down and the computer wouldn't boot into Mojave anymore.

At this point I tried the usual SMC reset and PRAM reset and was dismayed to discover that I no long have boot screen options by holding down option on boot. I can successfully start the computer with the old ATI 5870 graphic card it arrived with and I have no idea what to do now, as there's no safe mode for graphics cards.

I have also tried taking out all the hard disks and booting from the original 1tb sata drive (very boring process) and no joy at all. It looks as though the graphics card has gone totally, but it was so weird that it should politely shut down the machine first.

If anyone has any ideas they think I should try, I'd be grateful!

Mac Pro 2010 5.1 Westmere
32gb 1333mhz
Samsung 970 Pro NVME
Kingston 140GB SSD

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Netherlands
Hi,

I Recently purchased a Mac Pro 2010 westmere, 12 core (2x 6 core) machine from ebay, with view to creating a super mix machine that can handle all of the plugins that I use for my work.

I have researched extensively what I needed to do to get the machine running Mojave and although not on the officially supported Apple Website of graphics cards that are mojave compatible, I went for an AMD Radeon R9 280 - Club3d cheaply on ebay. I installed this card easily enough and then was delighted when I was able to successfully upgrade to Mojave and indeed be able to boot from a samsung 970 Pro NVME drive. Wow - the speed this booted at!

I was very happy with my upgrades until this point and I decided to change my hard disk icon to my business logo. I did this by copying the desired icon to the clipboard and then clicking the 'Get Info' option on right clicking the icon. I clicked the display icon on the top left of the info pane and hit control v to paste the icon and the whole computer shut down and the computer wouldn't boot into Mojave anymore.

At this point I tried the usual SMC reset and PRAM reset and was dismayed to discover that I no long have boot screen options by holding down option on boot. I can successfully start the computer with the old ATI 5870 graphic card it arrived with and I have no idea what to do now, as there's no safe mode for graphics cards.

I have also tried taking out all the hard disks and booting from the original 1tb sata drive (very boring process) and no joy at all. It looks as though the graphics card has gone totally, but it was so weird that it should politely shut down the machine first.

If anyone has any ideas they think I should try, I'd be grateful!

Mac Pro 2010 5.1 Westmere
32gb 1333mhz
Samsung 970 Pro NVME
Kingston 140GB SSD

Was your bussiness logo either .png and / or .jpg If so, make sure your bussiness logo has the extension of .icns I use a app called iConvert Icons

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
This is a total stab in the dark but have you tried reinstalling Mojave via Recovery Mode? If it's a case of a corrupted OS file maybe that'd fix it. :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.