Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Disastro38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
Mojave and Catalina Black screen

Hi guys,

I have a flashed Mac Pro 4,1 -> 5,1.

I installed a couple of months ago Catalina with opencore.

On Saturday I decided to delete OpenCore and perform a fresh install of Mojave.

I delete all the files in the EFI partition (where OC is installed) and performed a fresh install from USB.

At first I was able to install Mojave but after the installation process from USB the Mac Pro reboot and after the progress bar it shows only black screen.

I tried again but after the installer's loading bar I get only black screen

Recovery mode does the same thing.

I have an SSD with Mojave done with Carbon Copy Cloner and boot into it normally, but if I try to boot into recovery, I get black screen.

I can successfully install High Sierra and I can also boot into recovery mode.

Can anyone help me figuring out what the hell is happening on my Mac Pro?

I know that deleting a Partition can cause serious problems to the OS but does perform a clean install recreate the same partition from scratch?

I can't even install the updates because I get black screen after the boot loading bar.

I read this article:

[https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/)

But I sincerely don't know if I should perform some action since the firmware is already on 144.0.0.0 etc.

My GPU is driving the 2 monitors via DP (I don't remember the version though), it is an RX580 with BIOS flashed (I do have bootscreen).

I also have a problem with the PCIe NVME disk.
disk utility shows the Nvme on /dev/disk0, size 1 TB, but it also show the nvme on /dev/disk3s2 of 3 kb.
I tried to delete the partition, erasing it with terminal, but disk utility gave me errors.
any way to complete erase all partition and start to scratch with the nvme?

Any help will be appreciate

I link here some information:

Attachments

• 2DA2A695-9213-4E1A-B9FF-A3E0D3A480D4.jpeg
    2DA2A695-9213-4E1A-B9FF-A3E0D3A480D4.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 386
  • F1803E74-94CF-4469-B870-4D43611EA704.jpeg
    F1803E74-94CF-4469-B870-4D43611EA704.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 241
  • ECA70853-DEB7-4D11-8762-1235129025CD.jpeg
    ECA70853-DEB7-4D11-8762-1235129025CD.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 830B30AA-867E-4398-9D56-F8A8ED53ACEB.jpeg
    830B30AA-867E-4398-9D56-F8A8ED53ACEB.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 235

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
An observation, since you mentioned CCC.

I'm finding that even with standard transfers/clones CCC is causing a lot of problems. I bought the latest version to migrate 4 HDD to new larger and faster drives and all partitions with OSs on them and many libraries of very important files were all corrupt in one way or another. I was very surprised in + and - ways to see the newer CCC and it looks like it's now more for backups than the cloning. It was phenomenal for in the past when there was only two options to select and you could get a block clone that was flawless. Not anymore from what I went through.

I initially used the multi-task option to transfer several drives in my machine to a single new larger drive. When I discovered that there were issues, I went back to the original drives and they were fine.

BUT! If I could get into the OS partitions in a manner to run Onyx, it fixed whatever CCC broke in the OSs. That was 9 different OSs. Now the files. I thought I had the original drives . . . there are problems there now too. Not saying that CCC did anything, but it was the only thing to touch them before I found problems. One drive is too valuable for me to dink with it, although I bought Disk Drill and got unusable files that were represented correctly, but were unusable. So it's going to cost me about $2000 to have it recovered. Something strange is happening. Thinking back on it, I could and should have either used Disk Util or just drag and dropped the files.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Supposing you got decent backups , you could:
-boot the HS install , download Mojave and upgrade to Mojave on the same disk
-erase the NVMe disk or any other target disk you'd like to install a natively supported OS on, do a clean install and restore your data with migration asistant.

Make sure that when you erase and format in DiskUtility , you choose the device , not the partition (set DU to "show all devices")

Soytaino

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020

Hi guys,

I delete all the files in the EFI partition (where OC is installed) and performed a fresh install from USB.

At first I was able to install Mojave but after the installation process from USB the Mac Pro reboot and after the progress bar it shows only black screen.

I have an SSD with Mojave done with Carbon Copy Cloner and boot into it normally, but if I try to boot into recovery, I get black screen.

I know that deleting a Partition can cause serious problems to the OS but does perform a clean install recreate the same partition from scratch?

I can't even install the updates because I get black screen after the boot loading bar.

I read this article:

[https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/)

But I sincerely don't know if I should perform some action since the firmware is already on 144.0.0.0 etc.

My GPU is driving the 2 monitors via DP (I don't remember the version though), it is an RX580 with BIOS flashed (I do have bootscreen).

disk utility shows the Nvme on /dev/disk0, size 1 TB, but it also show the nvme on /dev/disk3s2 of 3 kb.
I tried to delete the partition, erasing it with terminal, but disk utility gave me errors.

Hi guys,

I read this article:

Hey where you successful because i am having the same issues . Also did you lose your WIFI my says no hardware installed . and i have to remove all my hard drives in order for it to boot. i need some help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.