Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixsla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Hi

I have a old Mac Pro 5.1 and I got a Gtx 980 (not flashed for mac). After I installed the webdriver for Mac OS 10.12.6 and Cuda and installed the gpu all my screens are black. I get no signal out of the gpu.

I already tried to screen share with my MacBook to check if the driver jumps back to the OS X driver but this is not the case..

Could someone help me?

Thanks!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Cable / monitor checked?

Also, did you check if the card work properly before installed into your 5,1?

When you performed the screen sharing? Is the card properly recognised in the system info -> graphic cards' section?

pixsla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Hi,
yes a checked all outputs with different cables and even different monitors
I don't have a windows pc so I can't check if its working there and I did the screen sharing and the card is recoginzes as Nvidia graphics chip

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
via screen sharing also check in the menu bar that the nvidia web drivers are enabled and checked

pixsla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
thanks for the replay.
Yes i did that but the Nvidia driver is already selected...

pixsla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Yes
I have a Radeon with 1gig vram so I wanted to upgrade with the gtx

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
There have been a couple of people who experienced a bug where the Nvidia preference pane visibly shows that the Nvidia driver is set, but either the NVRAM boot args aren't actually set, and/or the Nvidia driver isn't actually loaded.

To check that the NVRAM parameter is set (there should be a "nvda_drv=1") run this command in Terminal:
sudo nvram -p

To check if the Nvidia driver has actually loaded, open System Info and go to the software KEXT section and see if any drivers are loaded with Nvidia as the vendor.

pixsla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Hi Thanks for the tipp

I took a screenshot from the system info and I think every NVDA Entry should be loaded but there stand "no" Sorry its in german...

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-31 um 09.53.51.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-31 um 09.53.51.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 333

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm glad you figured it out. It looks like you are another one of the people who has the Preference Pane set to Nvidia drivers, but the drivers clearly weren't loading.

Reactions: owbp

Damn-apple

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2020
Okay so everything works fine now.

This Thread helped me a lot and actually I don't know how I found it

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-pro-and-how-to-safely-do-os-updates.1981453/

If you have OS Sierra you need to boot in recovery mode and typ this command without sudo! -> nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"
Then install the new GTX and here you go :)

Thank you anyway!

Hello! Could you help me? I have a similar problem.
Mac pro 5.1 with gtx 980 and high sierra. The web drivers are installed and selected on the pref pane, but I am possibly one of those people with that bug of the installed, selected, but not loading nvidia drivers.

So the gtx 980 is half working, a bit glitchy and one monitor is working, but no signal in the other one I use. I tried to put the string on recovery mode but no success.

(the card looks to be flashed but I am not sure of this(It may be original efi boot?) because I got a bargain on eBay but the seller just said that he pulled the card off a working mac pro 5.1) Anyway with el capitan never had problems.

High sierra is installed with hfs+ partition.

any idea?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.