Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
*URGENTLY NEED HELP ON MY MAC PRO 5, 1*

Hello, I bought a 5, 1 quad core 2.8ghz mid 2010 mac pro the other day from a guy on craigslist, but didn’t test it before taking it off his hands because he assured me it was working and had tested it in the morning. When I got home and booted it up, I was greeted with a white screen, and then 1-2 minutes later, the infamous flashing question mark folder appeared. So i thought to myself that it wouldn’t be much of a hassle, but I was wrong. Recovery mode, disc utility, and all keyboard shortcuts that would result in a change in the screen weren’t working. I wanted to see if it was a problem with the USB port, so I plugged in a mouse, and the laser underneath was lit up red, so I at least knew that power was going through. However, I’m not sure if it’s normal or not, but the caps lock lights weren’t turning on when it was plugged into the mac, and I’ve tested that it’s not the keyboard that is faulty because I’ve seen it work on my other macs. I’ve tried to check if it was a hard drive failure by removing the 1tb Apple HDD, which I found to be warm so something there must be happening. I then exchanged it with a Western Digital HDD, which I could hear spinning, but no luck with any boot recovery, recovery mode, or disc utility. So now I have a 5, 1 Mac Pro that I bought for $150 that essentially just shows a white screen, and then after a couple of minutes, brings up the flashing question mark folder. I was wondering if one of you experts who dedicate many countless hours into the community for this era of mac pro could give me some advice or troubleshooting tips to get my machine up and running, thanks!

Edit: Previous owner said it was running sierra

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
*URGENTLY NEED HELP ON MY MAC PRO 5, 1*

Hello, I bought a 5, 1 quad core 2.8ghz mid 2010 mac pro the other day from a guy on craigslist, but didn’t test it before taking it off his hands because he assured me it was working and had tested it in the morning. When I got home and booted it up, I was greeted with a white screen, and then 1-2 minutes later, the infamous flashing question mark folder appeared. So i thought to myself that it wouldn’t be much of a hassle, but I was wrong. Recovery mode, disc utility, and all keyboard shortcuts that would result in a change in the screen weren’t working. I wanted to see if it was a problem with the USB port, so I plugged in a mouse, and the laser underneath was lit up red, so I at least knew that power was going through. However, I’m not sure if it’s normal or not, but the caps lock lights weren’t turning on when it was plugged into the mac, and I’ve tested that it’s not the keyboard that is faulty because I’ve seen it work on my other macs. I’ve tried to check if it was a hard drive failure by removing the 1tb Apple HDD, which I found to be warm so something there must be happening. I then exchanged it with a Western Digital HDD, which I could hear spinning, but no luck with any boot recovery, recovery mode, or disc utility. So now I have a 5, 1 Mac Pro that I bought for $150 that essentially just shows a white screen, and then after a couple of minutes, brings up the flashing question mark folder. I was wondering if one of you experts who dedicate many countless hours into the community for this era of mac pro could give me some advice or troubleshooting tips to get my machine up and running, thanks!

Edit: Previous owner said it was running sierra
Make an USB createinstallmedia of El Capitan/Sierra and install macOS to a known working and erased disk. Remove all disks, insert an erased one and your Mac Pro will boot from the USB createinstallmedia installer.

Don't use newer macOS releases, High Sierra and Mojave need firmware upgrades and you can't do it from USB createinstallmedia installer, only from macOS.

You can still get Sierra from Apple, links here:

iden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Make an USB createinstallmedia of El Capitan/Sierra and install macOS to a known working and erased disk. Remove all disks, insert an erased one and your Mac Pro will boot from the USB createinstallmedia installer.

Don't use newer macOS releases, High Sierra and Mojave need firmware upgrades and you can't do it from USB createinstallmedia installer, only from macOS.

You can still get Sierra from Apple, links here:

Do you know if even with a corrupt HDD, would I be able to access disc utility? Because I'm trying to see if it's a problem of me not being able to input keyboard functions to the computer or if the hard drive has failed. Because if disc utility is supposed to work without a hard drive, then I would know that I've got a bigger problem on my hands.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Do you know if even with a corrupt HDD, would I be able to access disc utility? Because I'm trying to see if it's a problem of me not being able to input keyboard functions to the computer or if the hard drive has failed. Because if disc utility is supposed to work without a hard drive, then I would know that I've got a bigger problem on my hands.
If you are asking about Internet Recovery, late-2013 Mac Pro is the first Mac Pro that have it. Your Mac Pro without a working disk only will show the white screen then the blinking folder sometime later.

iden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
I see, how about disc utility? Say I had no HDD installed on a normal machine of this kind (Mid-2010 Mac Pro), would I be able to access disc utility still through command + R? And for creating a bootable USB, what are the requirements for doing this? I don't have an extra mac, so I'd have to buy an old one and I'm looking for the cheapest one that would be able to do so. Would the MacBook just have to be able to run Sierra in order for it to be able to make a bootable USB? Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I see, how about disc utility? Say I had no HDD installed on a normal machine of this kind (Mid-2010 Mac Pro), would I be able to access disc utility still through command + R? And for creating a bootable USB, what are the requirements for doing this? I don't have an extra mac, so I'd have to buy an old one and I'm looking for the cheapest one that would be able to do so. Would the MacBook just have to be able to run Sierra in order for it to be able to make a bootable USB? Thanks!
You need a bootable installer of some kind. Without a disk there's no way to access recovery because that requires Internet Recovery, which does not exist on the 2010/2012 Mac Pro.

Reactions: iden

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
DiskUtility is only present on the Recovery partition, a bootable macOS installer or with Internet Recovery (not supported with MP5,1). Without a working macOS installer, or a working Recovery partition you won't access disk utility with a MP5,1.

Yes, you need a Mac that can run Sierra to download Sierra from the Mac App Store. This is the support article on how to create a bootable USB installer:

Apple Support: How to create a bootable installer for macOS

There are tutorials on the Internet on how to install macOS to a VM with a PC and then create a bootable installer of macOS (since this violates the terms of use of macOS, I'm not going to link to one, but you can find it easily).

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Another option is look on ebay for Lion (10.7) USB installer. This version was sold on a USB stick.
But you may struggle to find a legit one.

edit: this doesn't look like a viable option, everything on ebay looks dodgy.
tbh for $150 you got a bargain... ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.