Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
My Mac Pro 5,1 has been having an issue where its not properly cooling my system it blows but its not maintaining temperature correctly. The CPU can get up to 70 degrees and will eventually crash. The fans don't ramp up to cool it off properly. I have mac fan control set to automatic and the fans are working correctly because they all go up to full rpm when i set it to full blast. I recently put some high-end thermal paste on them to try to remedy the situation and made sure the thermal paste was properly set over the cpu. Still just as much of a problem though. I'm using a dual socket system with the upgraded 3.46ghz cpu's. Recently also encountered an issue where it fried my 1080TI because its fans were not cooling properly as well. My current solution is setting mac fan control to full blast and when booting setting an auxilary fan over the cpu area. ?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
70C is nothing for the Xeons. I used to let them run at around 80C for weeks (24/7).

I also have a 1080Ti, and let it ran in the 5,1. It should be quite hard to fried a Pascal GPU. Even the PCIe fan completely stopped, the 1080Ti still has its onboard fan. Also, it can thermal throttling itself.

If you suspect that there is a temperature issue, you better post some captures of the temperature readings. Occasionally, people focus on the wrong sensor's reading and lead to them to wrong direction of fixing issues.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
My Mac Pro 5,1 has been having an issue where its not properly cooling my system it blows but its not maintaining temperature correctly. The CPU can get up to 70 degrees and will eventually crash. The fans don't ramp up to cool it off properly. I have mac fan control set to automatic and the fans are working correctly because they all go up to full rpm when i set it to full blast. I recently put some high-end thermal paste on them to try to remedy the situation and made sure the thermal paste was properly set over the cpu. Still just as much of a problem though. I'm using a dual socket system with the upgraded 3.46ghz cpu's. Recently also encountered an issue where it fried my 1080TI because its fans were not cooling properly as well. My current solution is setting mac fan control to full blast and when booting setting an auxilary fan over the cpu area. ?

Temp limit for the Xeons ist around 100°C then they use throttling to bring down the temperature. A Crash is almost impossible.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
70C is nothing for the Xeons. I used to let them run at around 80C for weeks (24/7).

I also have a 1080Ti, and let it ran in the 5,1. It should be quite hard to fried a Pascal GPU. Even the PCIe fan completely stopped, the 1080Ti still has its onboard fan. Also, it can thermal throttling itself.

If you suspect that there is a temperature issue, you better post some captures of the temperature readings. Occasionally, people focus on the wrong sensor's reading and lead to them to wrong direction of fixing issues.
well the problem is the fans were not blowing on the 1080ti. maybe i will do another teardown of the gpu to see if it can be fixed. It worked fine in windows but on osx the fans wouldn't blow to cool it off and would artifact after awhile. now it won't boot at all with osx and it boots to a black screen on windows.
Temp limit for the Xeons ist around 100°C then they use throttling to bring down the temperature. A Crash is almost impossible.
maybe the issue is something else then, i thought thats why it was having trouble booting because it was getting too hot during boot. I am having issues where the boot chime isn't happening sometimes and booting sometimes wont happen and other times it takes forever.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
well the problem is the fans were not blowing on the 1080ti. maybe i will do another teardown of the gpu to see if it can be fixed. It worked fine in windows but on osx the fans wouldn't blow to cool it off and would artifact after awhile. now it won't boot at all with osx and it boots to a black screen on windows.

maybe the issue is something else then, i thought thats why it was having trouble booting because it was getting too hot during boot. I am having issues where the boot chime isn't happening sometimes and booting sometimes wont happen and other times it takes forever.
The 1080Ti has zero fan mode. Unless the GPU is getting too warm, the fan won't spin at all. This is normal.

In macOS, the fan obey the profile stores in the VBIOS. The OS or web driver won't do anything about it.

If the fans doesn't spin up, most likely because the GPU isn't hot at all. You suspect the GPU was overheating, however, there is no software to monitor the GPU temperature in macOS. Unless you were doing something that very GPU demanding (e.g. Furmark). Otherwise, it's hard to tell how hot the GPU was.

The cMP crash can be due to something else. Having GPU overheat + CPU overheat is very very rare on cMP (expecially your reported temperature is very far away from overheating). If your cMP can't even boot stably, may be something else is the problem, but not CPU / GPU.

Anyway, I suggest you check the NB heatsink rivet. That may be the root cause of all the problems.

Reactions: KeesMacPro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.