Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArchieCapessi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2023
Hello, im a new owner of a mac pro 2010 5.1 and for a two weeks, or a little more, i have been researching for the upgrades and all. In a future post i'll tell you all about my little horror and fascinating history. im in proces of succed and won't surrender.

This blog is the best source of information I have found. Congratulations for the community.

The fact now is that while I was blowing the computer clean, I found a flying microchip. I saw it in luck, because it is very small.

While searching my motherboard, I noticed that there was a space that seemed to be missing that component.
When taking pictures, notice that the microchip is labeled as A219 and is located just above the GPU PCI energy connectors.

1680576456017.png

What makes me think that it is a component that is in charge of feeding or distributing information about electrical energy, but it is just what I would like to find out. and I think that because it seems that in that area there are two identical A219 components.

*Picture of my MacPro
1680576289835.png

Maybe the old owner broke it when he removed the power cable from the GPU. I changed the graphics card to an rx580 with extreme care, I'm sure it was broken before this installation.

* (NOT MY MACPRO) Pictures i found on internet but with no info about A219
1680576595561.png

1680576671723.png

1680576717189.png

What seems strange to me is that the computer turns on and works fine. Detects everything perfectly. Even though I have only used it for periods of 20 minutes maximum. I havent power on for more than 30 minutes, i havent done exhaustive tasks with it.

Anyone who knows about the subject that can help me solve the following questions?

- what is the function of this microchip?
- Will I be able to use my computer without this component and not have future failures?
- Is there a replacement for this component?
- should i be worried about my graphics card?

I will appreciate all the help that comes from this post. Hope that you information will help to someone else whit a situation like mine.

My computer specs:
- NVME ssd 1tb kingston with mojave
- Not opencore (yet)
- 2 x5680 processors (that I installed myself)
- 96gb ram ddr3 hynix
- Rx580 sapphire

I'm about to contact a microchip soldering expert. But I don't know if he has knowledge about mac computers.

Attachments

• 1680576356282.png
    1680576356282.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Sad
Reactions: appltech

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It's the current and power sensor for the PCIe AUX connectors, one for each connector. If you open iStat, you will see that voltage and amperage for one of the PCIe AUX are missing.

Reactions: ArchieCapessi

ArchieCapessi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2023
Thanks for everyone's help. Now I know what to get to repair. I wasn't so lost thinking it was a component related to the power of the ports. Investigating and from what they have commented, it seems that it only works for the question of monitoring.

Now my doubts would be... Will I be able to use my MP5.1 without the A219?

I understand that the chip helps to monitor the power of the PCI auxiliary port, but it does not do any other function. It is not like this?

I also understand that the chip helps the computer detect PSU (Power Supply Unit) energy errors to Aux PCI so that the computer can take the necessary actions for avoid to damage the GPU with electrical shock or the like.

How common is this to happen? Just to find out if it is profitable to pay for its repair. Since, due to its level of difficulty, it can be somewhat expensive.

On the other hand, I have seen that my motherboard has spots like corrosion. I am concerned that it could damage it and that the oxidation comes internal.

I don't think that brown color is a healthy sign.
1680673532471.png

1680673638900.png

Do you know if it is advisable or a good idea to do an ultrasonic wash with distilled water and isopropyl alcohol?
I have been researching to make a homemade ultrasonic washing machine.

am I being exaggerated?

tsialex, I have followed your comments very closely and your information has helped me a lot to undertake the long path of upgrading my MP5.1 I hope that when I finish I can invite you at least one coffee via paypal.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I understand that the chip helps to monitor the power of the PCI auxiliary port, but it does not do any other function. It is not like this?
It participates in the protection scheme to shut down the Mac on overcurrent protection. I had one of them malfunctioning (not measuring current only voltage). It is not very hard to replace it. You may need to back up/restore the program to the new chip. I had 3 HDD controllers failed due to a power surge. Bought new controller boards, reprogrammed the chips with a backup from the old ones and got my HDD drives working.
As far as the corrosion traces on the board it is a different story. May be more economical for you would be to by a new board? They are not too expensive compared to the CPU trays.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for everyone's help. Now I know what to get to repair. I wasn't so lost thinking it was a component related to the power of the ports. Investigating and from what they have commented, it seems that it only works for the question of monitoring.

Now my doubts would be... Will I be able to use my MP5.1 without the A219?

If you only need one PCIe AUX port, yes. If you need two, no.

Each one measures constantly the current/power from the PCIe AUX connector and send the values to the SMC.

I also understand that the chip helps the computer detect PSU (Power Supply Unit) energy errors to Aux PCI so that the computer can take the necessary actions for avoid to damage the GPU with electrical shock or the like.

No, it detects under/over voltage and the power draw, so it's measuring the current and amperage that goes to the GPU.

How common is this to happen?

Yes, several cases reported here on the Mac Pro forum. People do not take the necessary care when removing the cables.

Just to find out if it is profitable to pay for its repair. Since, due to its level of difficulty, it can be somewhat expensive.

If the pads were ripped, from the photo seems that at least two pads were ripped, it's better to replace the backplane.

Backplanes are still easy to find and a lot cheaper than a price of a repair, if you can't do it yourself.

On the other hand, I have seen that my motherboard has spots like corrosion. I am concerned that it could damage it and that the oxidation comes internal.

I don't think that brown color is a healthy sign.
View attachment 2184678

View attachment 2184679

Do you know if it is advisable or a good idea to do an ultrasonic wash with distilled water and isopropyl alcohol?
I have been researching to make a homemade ultrasonic washing machine.

Too much money and hassle for a backplane that frequently can be bought for around $75.

am I being exaggerated?

Even a correctly stored NOS backplane will be oxidised after 11+ years where the copper is exposed without solder mask. The problem is how much oxidation, it's difficult to judge oxidation with photos when it's a black PCB mask.

I don't think that is reasonable to try to repair a backplane with ripped pads and oxidation, if you can do the job yourself on the very cheap, go for it, if not, buy a replacement backplane.

tsialex, I have followed your comments very closely and your information has helped me a lot to undertake the long path of upgrading my MP5.1 I hope that when I finish I can invite you at least one coffee via paypal.

:)

Reactions: appltech

ArchieCapessi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2023
It participates in the protection scheme to shut down the Mac on overcurrent protection. I had one of them malfunctioning (not measuring current only voltage). It is not very hard to replace it. You may need to back up/restore the program to the new chip. I had 3 HDD controllers failed due to a power surge. Bought new controller boards, reprogrammed the chips with a backup from the old ones and got my HDD drives working.

So it might be necessary to repair in order not to damage my RX580 graphics card. Thank you very much for the information. I am contacting professionals to solve the problem. Hoping it's not too expensive.

If you only need one PCIe AUX port, yes. If you need two, no.

I'm using a rx 580 sapphire gpu with the 2 x 6 mini pin > 8 pin cable. so I can continue using my MP normally, as far as I understand.

Each one measures constantly the current/power from the PCIe AUX connector and send the values to the SMC.
Understood. Very clear, thanks.

If the pads were ripped, from the photo seems that at least two pads were ripped, it's better to replace the backplane.

Backplanes are still easy to find and a lot cheaper than a price of a repair, if you can't do it yourself.
As far as the corrosion traces on the board it is a different story. May be more economical for you would be to by a new board? They are not too expensive compared to the CPU trays.

Two pads ripped ? I think I'm in trouble. I don't know what the other one is.

Unfortunately, in my country (México, CDMX) there was not a big sale of this product and it is very difficult to find a macpro 5.1 and even more difficult that is in good condition.

It is much less common to find parts of it and it is more difficult to find blackplanes. Ebay and Aliexpress shipping are too expensive to pay for the repair. This computer cost me approximately 100 dollars in a super offer. They usually sell MP4.1 2009 for more than 400 dollars and without any kind of improvements, sometimes even with only one processor tray.

I'm sure getting a blackplane would be very difficult. Maybe it will even make me give up and sell this machine for parts, the ones that still work.

unfortunately I have spent money on 96 gb of ram memories, x5680 processors, broadcom wifi/bluetooth card and thermal paste.

That is why he was investigating whether it can still be saved. I consider it, in addition to a great work tool, a collector's item.

Im very grateful for your help.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I am contacting professionals to solve the problem
Look for electronic recycling stores near you. I needed just a cMP case and I called one store and they said they would sell me a case for 35$. When I went to pick it up the guy gave me a case with a CPU tray, power supply and a base board for the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.