Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hackworth77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
Michigan
Hello all,
After watching several YouTube videos about "Hot Rodding" an older MacPro I decided to take the plunge. I was becoming very frustrated with my PC builds, unstable hardware, etc. Purchased a 12 core MacPro for about $800. Everything is great. My idea is to have 4 TB array for Windows 10 in RAID 0 and an SSD 1 TB (500 SSD x 2) for the system. I had some Seagate 1 TB drives laying around so I decided to use Mac OS X Sierra to create a RAID 0 array. I was going to install Windows 10 on it. I realize that Macs use a software vs hardware RAID.

Created the RAID 0 array. Boot from a Bootcamp Windows 10 USB. Windows do not see the array. Just two separate drives. I assume I'm doing something wrong.

I apologize in advance. Very new to this forum and such a project. Any help, advice, guidance would be very appreciated. Thank you all.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Hello all,
After watching several YouTube videos about "Hot Rodding" an older MacPro I decided to take the plunge. I was becoming very frustrated with my PC builds, unstable hardware, etc. Purchased a 12 core MacPro for about $800. Everything is great. My idea is to have 4 TB array for Windows 10 in RAID 0 and an SSD 1 TB (500 SSD x 2) for the system. I had some Seagate 1 TB drives laying around so I decided to use Mac OS X Sierra to create a RAID 0 array. I was going to install Windows 10 on it. I realize that Macs use a software vs hardware RAID.

Created the RAID 0 array. Boot from a Bootcamp Windows 10 USB. Windows do not see the array. Just two separate drives. I assume I'm doing something wrong.

I apologize in advance. Very new to this forum and such a project. Any help, advice, guidance would be very appreciated. Thank you all.
Windows won't see an Apple software RAID-0. Create the stripe set in Windows Disk Manager, not in Apple software.

Avoid BootCamp if possible.

Hackworth77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
Michigan
Not sure how this helps. So I would have to load WIN 10 onto one of the drives, create a RAID set and then install? I guess you are not reading what I'm saying. Do I need to install a hardware raid controller?

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Installing Windows to one drive, then creating a striped volume from disk manager is the only way I can think of to do it for certain.

You could probably use a bootable addon controller card like the Apricorn Velocity Duo x2 for better performance but I've never tried one with Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.