Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runners0304

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2022
Hello. I'm new to the MAC world and don't know much about them yet. Within the last 2 years or so I obtained a Mac Pro 5,1 dual processor that had bootcamp installed and running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS.

The computer runs very well with the set up/hardware it has in it but I wanted to upgrade it as I use this computer for work and personal use and tend to have a ton of applications open and things running on it that have caused it several times to max out the available ram and cause it freeze. I have purchased some new RAM but after installing it today, when I turned it on, it wouldn't boot up. I just got a blinking power light. I tried doing a SMC reset by holding the Command + Option + R + P keys down when turning it on but nothing happened/changed.

Here are the computer specs:
Model: Mac Pro 5,1
CPU: Dual Intel Xeon E5620 2.40GHz 4 core
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD7900
RAM: (I'm using all 8 ram slots) Crucial 4GB DDR3-1066MHz PC3-8500 ECC CT51272BA1067.18FRN (x6) + Hynix PC3-10600E 1GB ECC 1RX8 HMT112U7TFR8C-H9 (x2) for a total of 26GB.

Here are the specs of the replacement RAM I got:
KTM-SX313LLQ/32G Kingston 32GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered (x8) for a total of 256GB.

From my prior research, I thought this RAM would be compatible but now I'm not so sure. With a Windows PC, basically any RAM will work as long as it the right pin configuration and if it's a higher speed than what the CPU is rated for, it will still work, it will just run at the speed the CPU is capable of. I also ordered at the same time (still waiting for it to be delivered) a matched pair of Intel Xeon X5690 6 Core 3.46GHz CPU's. So hoping this RAM with will with these new CPU's.

Anyone here know if this Kingston RAM I purchased is compatible with this machine?
If it is compatible, then why will it not boot up and just get a blinking power light?
Why the power light started blinking after installing the Kingston RAM?
If this Kingston ram isn't compatible, what would be a compatible equivalent?

Thanks everyone for your help/support on this.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
LRDIMMs are not compatible with MacPro5,1, or any Westmere Xeon. You bought a LRDIMM.

32GB DDR3 or DDR3L DIMMs are not supported by the macOS with a MacPro5,1, but it's possible to make it work with OpenCore if you buy the right one. This is the thread that have all the info about it:

This is the general thread about MacPro5,1 and RAM support:

Use both threads as a resource, ask questions there.

Another thing, there is no matched Nehalem or Westmere Xeons. All non-ES/non-QS X5690 are exactly identical, with the exact same S-Spec and exact same PartNumber.

Last edited:

runners0304

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2022
LRDIMMs are not compatible with MacPro5,1, or any Westmere Xeon. You bought a LRDIMM.

32GB DDR3 or DDR3L DIMMs are not supported by the macOS with a MacPro5,1, but it's possible to make it work with OpenCore if you buy the right one. This is the thread that have all the info about it:

This is the general thread about MacPro5,1 and RAM support:

Use both threads as a resource, ask questions there.

Another thing, there is no matched Nehalem or Westmere Xeons. All non-ES/non-QS X5690 are exactly identical, with the exact same S-Spec and exact same PartNumber.
Thank you for this info. I found this ram that I'm in considering: A-Tech 32GB 4Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 1333MHz ECC RDIMM REG Server Memory RAM Module

What are your thoughts on using this ram?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Get a DIMM that was already tested on the 32GB thread also read what you have to do to configure it and see if it's something that you can do by yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.