Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkwiiyou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Hey, I'm new to this forum so pardon me if this has been asked.

Computer Fluf: I recently bought a 5,1 Mac pro 2010 Quade core 2.8ghz. I have 8GB of ram ( 4 X 2Gb ) with another 32GB ( 4 X 8 ) Coming to my door soon. I'm planning on upgrading to a twelve core and a 500GB SSD from OWC.

Main question: Can I expand my soon 8 slots of RAM to to 12/16 with something like: ?
And if not ( because I assume it wont, but might as well ask ) what will? And is it even possible?

Thanks in advance! And to all the moderators likely getting annoyed about seeing dupes of similar posts, My appologies.

Honestly, Lane

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands
When you really bought a 5.1 Quad 2.8Ghz, you must have noticed you do NOT have 8 RAM slots!?
You cannot built a 12 core from a Quad, you need a different Processor Tray with 2 CPU's.
And it would be better to only fill 3 or 6 ram slots, because the 5.1 runs Triple Channel.

Btw forget OWC, just extra expensive, you can buy any SSD.

Darkwiiyou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
When you really bought a 5.1 Quad 2.8Ghz, you must have noticed you do NOT have 8 RAM slots!?
You cannot built a 12 core from a Quad, you need a different Processor Tray with 2 CPU's.
And it would be better to only fill 3 or 6 ram slots, because the 5.1 runs Triple Channel.
I am aware I don't have 8 Slots... Hence why I said SOON. Read it please. lol
Also, You CAN build a 12 Core from what I have. You just need a dual CPU board, with the dual cooleres, along with the dual Proccesors.

And yes, thats true. However you didn't answer my question. So thanks but no thanks.

Darkwiiyou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
At least my butt is smarter than you. And yes, really. You can upgrade a single core tray to dual with a dual board and CPU cooler. I've read many articles about it. Now unless you have ACTUAL info on the main topic, Please refrain from commenting and shouting rude and unnecessary comments.
I can read, but you have no clue...maybe you should read what I said
I am aware you can read, However you obviously missed my main question along with several details. Once again, please refrain from commenting stupid insults. It gives you nothing and helps NONE.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
For the original question. No, you can not add more memory slots beyond the 8 on the dual CPU board. The card you referenced requires a motherboard to have the expansion connector which Apple does not have. So you can put 8 of the 16GB modules to go to max of 128GB. I don't think anyone has gotten 32GB modules to work.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Darkwiiyou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
For the original question. No, you can not add more memory slots beyond the 8 on the dual CPU board. The card you referenced requires a motherboard to have the expansion connector which Apple does not have. So you can put 8 of the 16GB modules to go to max of 128GB. I don't think anyone has gotten 32GB modules to work.
Thank you very much! This is exactly my question. I very much apprecaite the answer! I am very greatful.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I also remember there were some adapters that let you put two modules in one slot. I never saw this for a Mac though.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

32GB DIMM actually work, but only can boot up to 5 sticks so far, that means the max demonstrated memory is up to 160GB at this moment.
[doublepost=1500230009][/doublepost]Not sure where this 160GB coming from, but if the cMP cannot boot with more than 160GB RAM, then 8 slots is more than enough. We hit the limit with 3 slots still empty.

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
32GB DIMM actually work, but only can boot up to 5 sticks so far, that means the max demonstrated memory is up to 160GB at this moment.
[doublepost=1500230009][/doublepost]Not sure where this 160GB coming from, but if the cMP cannot boot with more than 160GB RAM, then 8 slots is more than enough. We hit the limit with 3 slots still empty.

Sounds like 4x32GB + 4x8GB?

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
sounds like you bought the wrong model and wanted to see if you can salvage it.

buying the board tray to support 2x cpu is quite expensive. expensive enough you might as well sell your mac pro and get a mp with 2x socket.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
you can buy a dual cpu tray and install it in your macpro, but it's not the most cost effective option and has to be from the same model.
ie 5.1 tray in 5.1 case or 4.1 in 4.1 case
you dont want to put a 4.1 tray in a 5.1 case or vise versa

and if you have a flashed 4.1 to 5.1 then you will need a 4.1 tray (there's a lot of 4.1 sold as 5.1).

also got to add that it's relay worth doing the costing of a project like that as it might move to the point where your better off/cheaper getting a newer computer with a better CPU, newer 4c i7's outpace the macpro's cpu's (macpro uses 1st gen i7's).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.