Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacScout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
Hey everyone,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1...3.46ghz 12 Core, 64gb RAM....Latest version of High Sierra.
Recently purchased and installed an RX 580 Sapphire GPU.

Computer does not boot. (Except for Safe Mode, in which the computer does recognize the card)

I installed my older GPU along side the new RX 580 to see what was happening and it looks like the computer is freezing about 3/4 of the way into the boot screen.

Any advice?

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Hey everyone,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1...3.46ghz 12 Core, 64gb RAM....Latest version of High Sierra.

Computer does not boot. (Except for Safe Mode, in which the computer does recognize the card)

I installed my older GPU along side the new RX 580 to see what was happening and it looks like the computer is freezing about 3/4 of the way into the boot screen.

Any advice?
Have you tried resetting nvram and smc? Doing that can always help.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Hey everyone,

Any advice?

Did you try re-seating your ram sticks? I had something similar happening, with boot freezing halfway, and re-seating RAM solved the problem.

Probably won’t work, but it’s worth a try.

MacScout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
Are you sure that the 6 pin power is properly powering the gpu, if so, I’d recommend swapping drives and reinstalling 10.13.4 on it.

Double checked the power cables and all are secure.
I have tried several hard drives each, with the latest version of High Sierra. Same results

Did you try re-seating your ram sticks? I had something similar happening, with boot freezing halfway, and re-seating RAM solved the problem.

Probably won’t work, but it’s worth a try.

No luck with physically resetting the RAM either.
[doublepost=1525891165][/doublepost]Also, this GPU was pulled from the Mac/Sonnet Graphics Developer Kit.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Double checked the power cables and all are secure.
I have tried several hard drives each, with the latest version of High Sierra. Same results

No luck with physically resetting the RAM either.
[doublepost=1525891165][/doublepost]Also, this GPU was pulled from the Mac/Sonnet Graphics Developer Kit.
If this was pulled from an E-GPU kit it might have some strange efi flashing on it or a lockdown mechanism on it making it only work through Thunderbolt and eGPUS. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did this knowing how desperate bitcoin miners are to get a good deal on GPUs, but really I’m not sure how to help you.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
How do you have it connected to power? I just installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB in my Mac Pro 5,1 and I used a dual female 6 pin to male 8 pin cable from EVGA and mine works perfectly in macOS and Windows 10.

Could it be a faulty card?

MacScout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
How do you have it connected to power? I just installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB in my Mac Pro 5,1 and I used a dual female 6 pin to male 8 pin cable from EVGA and mine works perfectly in macOS and Windows 10.

Could it be a faulty card?

It is connected to the motherboard via dual mini 6 pin to 8pin.
Is there a way to test the integrity of the card?

expede

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2018
Sweden
Hi!

Maybe you tried this, but did you strip the cMP down to its old configuration. Native GPU(ATi Radeon), Apple RAM and pull all other PCI stuff out?

/Per

MacScout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
Hi!

Maybe you tried this, but did you strip the cMP down to its old configuration. Native GPU(ATi Radeon), Apple RAM and pull all other PCI stuff out?

/Per
Yes, the computer boots as normal without the RX 580.

MacScout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
After booting in safe mode, I get this banding (see attached photo) on the screen.
script>
81FlJUT.png

MacScout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
Could be a defective card, have you tried switching ports and cables between HDMI, dvi, and DisplayPort?

Looks like it was a defective card. I ordered a new card and it arrived today and works like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.