Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faethon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
Hi all
I know this is a known issue, but I can't find the answer to it yet.
I upgraded from 4.1 to 5.1, from quad to 6-core, my memory to 1333.
My fan works continuously and loudly and my memory recognition remains at 1066.

I know there is a conflict between my system SMC and my new processor SMC. Here is the image of things:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

Serial Number (system): ...

Serial Number (processor tray): ...

Hardware UUID: ...

What do I do?

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Do an NVRAM and SMC reset. That should fix the memory speed.

It might also fix the fans. But if it does not fix the fans, install Macs Fan Control as Carp said. Then check all of your temperature sensors and fan speeds. What to do after that depends on what you see there.

Faethon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
You did not search much, this has been chewed to death.

Install Macs Fan Control.

Yea. I searched and I'm still searching. Having to read 40 pages of a thread in case I find the answer on the 40th doesn't help much, and I don't know if I'm setting the search parameters poorly. I hope to not spend more hours on this searching, if possible.

I had installed mac fans control and gave it a try before I posted here. It only shows me these fans and they don't look like they work much.
I am now looking at instructions on the app to see if I'm missing something.

I have also tried to reset the SMC like 10 times with no result, I visited Apple's site to see if I can download a newer SMC but there is none for the 4.1 or 5.1. I also called Apple and talked to a technician, but got nowhere, and then she suggested I call an Apple affiliate and I did and they said the same, that they don't work on 'old' machines.
I even upgraded to Sierra to see if maybe the software can sort the problem out, but in vain.
So, here I am.

Screenshot 2017-08-17 21.16.54.png

[doublepost=1503023282][/doublepost]
Do an NVRAM and SMC reset. That should fix the memory speed.

It might also fix the fans. But if it does not fix the fans, install Macs Fan Control as Carp said. Then check all of your temperature sensors and fan speeds. What to do after that depends on what you see there.

Thank you.
The SMC reset didn't work.
I'll look up the NVRAM.

I wonder, apart from the fans, is there something else that won't work correctly because of the SMC conflict if I don't fix it?

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Yea. I searched and I'm still searching. Having to read 40 pages of a thread in case I find the answer on the 40th doesn't help much, and I don't know if I'm setting the search parameters poorly. I hope to not spend more hours on this searching, if possible.

I had installed mac fans control and gave it a try before I posted here. It only shows me these fans and they don't look like they work much.
I am now looking at instructions on the app to see if I'm missing something.

I have also tried to reset the SMC like 10 times with no result, I visited Apple's site to see if I can download a newer SMC but there is none for the 4.1 or 5.1. I also called Apple and talked to a technician, but got nowhere, and then she suggested I call an Apple affiliate and I did and they said the same, that they don't work on 'old' machines.
I even upgraded to Sierra to see if maybe the software can sort the problem out, but in vain.
So, here I am.

View attachment 713394
[doublepost=1503023282][/doublepost]

Thank you.
The SMC reset didn't work.
I'll look up the NVRAM.

I wonder, apart from the fans, is there something else that won't work correctly because of the SMC conflict if I don't fix it?
Try this, remove your new 1333 RAM and replace with the original Apple RAM. Make sure you unplug the cMP before doing so.
Then do a PRAM reset.

Faethon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
ActionableMango thanks. This time the PRAM worked and I see 1333 now :)

Faethon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
Guys, if anyone has a link to a thread anywhere where this was solved, please show me.
To recap, I managed to update the RAM to 1333, but

* The SMC reset using apple's suggestion fails. (Shut down, remove power cable for 15 sec, wait 5 sec then power on)
* Macs fan control doesn't seem to do anything to stop the fans.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Guys, if anyone has a link to a thread anywhere where this was solved, please show me.
To recap, I managed to update the RAM to 1333, but

* The SMC reset using apple's suggestion fails. (Shut down, remove power cable for 15 sec, wait 5 sec then power on)
* Macs fan control doesn't seem to do anything to stop the fans.

An SMC reset is not going to solve the problem resulting from the mismatch between the SMC versions on the processor tray and backplane. You're using a 4.1 machine with a 5.1 processor tray. As such, your fans are going to run at full speed. Having said that, you should be able to set Macs Fan Control so the fans are running at slower RPMs.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It seems you upgraded, but in the wrong way. You should flash the firmware by yourself and upgrade the CPU ONLY, but not get a 5,1 CPU tray to do the upgrade.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Faethon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
An SMC reset is not going to solve the problem resulting from the mismatch between the SMC versions on the processor tray and backplane. You're using a 4.1 machine with a 5.1 processor tray. As such, your fans are going to run at full speed. Having said that, you should be able to set Macs Fan Control so the fans are running at slower RPMs.

Thank you.
As shown above, the PCI fan and the BOOSTA fan are the only ones showing as active in Macs Fan Control. They don't appear to be working too high, and when I pull the dials down to the lowest, I get no change in the sound of the fans I hear
[doublepost=1503031589][/doublepost]
It seems you upgraded, but in the wrong way. You should flash the firmware by yourself and upgrade the CPU ONLY, but not get a 5,1 CPU tray to do the upgrade.

Yea. That's how I started. But made a mistake and screwed the 5 allen screws too much and apparently destroyed both the board and cpu. That's why I changed the whole tray.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thank you.
As soon above, the PCI fan and the BOOSTA fan are the only ones showing as active in Macs Fan Control. They don't appear to be working too high, and when I pull the dials down to the lowest, I get no change in the sound of the fans I hear
[doublepost=1503031589][/doublepost]

Yea. That's how I started. But made a mistake and screwed the 5 allen screws too much and apparently destroyed both the board and cpu. That's why I changed the whole tray.

In this case, sorry, no solution but get the CORRECT tray (which means a 2009 Mac Pro CPU tray). The firmware is stored on the logicboard but not CPU tray. No matter which firmware you are running, you always use a 2009 tray on a 2009 Mac Pro.

Faethon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
In this case, sorry, no solution but get the CORRECT tray (which means a 2009 Mac Pro CPU tray). The firmware is stored on the logicboard but not CPU tray. No matter which firmware you are running, you always use a 2009 tray on a 2009 Mac Pro.

Thanks
[doublepost=1503063699][/doublepost]Here are the possible options I see:

1. If someone would point me to a solution involving the Macs Fan Control working right in my machine, that would be fantastic. Right now it looks like it can't lower the fans speed. Or maybe it doesn't even 'see' the CPU fan?

2. Try to return the 2010 tray and buy a 2009 tray, then upgrade the CPU (costly)

3. Buy a 2010 logic board? I see one for less than $200, supposedly new. Is there any reason why that shouldn't work? That way the SMCs would be the same?

4. Sell my MacPro without a working tray for whatever and build a new Windows PC for less than $800 with a 3.8 GHz 8 core Ryzen 1700x. (A $1500 Ryzen system appears to be 30% faster on Premiere Pro than the new $5700 Mac Pro) :) (I already have the SSD and HDDs, power supply, a starter graphics card)

What say the community?

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
1. If someone would point me to a solution involving the Macs Fan Control working right in my machine, that would be fantastic. Right now it looks like it can't lower the fans speed. Or maybe it doesn't even 'see' the CPU fan?

1. AFAIK if you have mismatching trays then there is no solution to the fan.

2. This seems ideal to me. I don't understand why you call it costly. The 2009 dual proc tray shouldn't cost you significantly more than the 2010 dual proc tray did, and you'll get your money back from that by returning it or selling it. And you can use the CPUs you have now.

3. I think this would work in theory but I'm not aware of anyone having actually done it, so I don't know if there are any gotchas.

4. This is basically what I did, but it hurts giving up MacOS and I miss the Mac Pro.

Reactions: foliovision

Faethon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
1. AFAIK if you have mismatching trays then there is no solution to the fan.

2. This seems ideal to me. I don't understand why you call it costly. The 2009 dual proc tray shouldn't cost you significantly more than the 2010 dual proc tray did, and you'll get your money back from that by returning it or selling it. And you can use the CPUs you have now.

3. I think this would work in theory but I'm not aware of anyone having actually done it, so I don't know if there are any gotchas.

4. This is basically what I did, but it hurts giving up MacOS and I miss the Mac Pro.

1. You see, this is the first time I see this told. So far I've been getting the wrong advise about it. Thanks

2. It is, because I've already lost money trying to do this. Money that could have gone in solution 4 :). As I see it now, I HAVE to invest to make the system functional, to sell it.

3. And right now I'm burned from complications I couldn't predict...

4. I can say goodbye to MacOS. Unless Apple brings out a new upgradable Pro that is also affordable enough to compete with Ryzen systems, they will be out of the game, in a year, MacOS or not. It's not worth a $4000 difference

Faethon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
The solution to this was the the ebay seller offered to replace the tray with the 4.1 one, so I only had to pay for the extra shipping. Very lucky he had one and grateful for him offering. The machine is quiet like a Sunday morning in the suburbs now.
Thanks to all that answered

drolson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
WI
my god!! if you are going to do something learn bout it first, this was torcher just reading this

fabfabs

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
Hi guys, I have a question concerning this topic, I have a friend that is stuck with more or less the same problem, he doesn't have internet at the moment so I'm helping him out.
He was asking me to find out if is possible to upgrade the SMC Version (system): 1.39f5, to the
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11.
I read that is possible the opposite, wich brings the 1.39f11 version of the cpu to the 1.39f5.
Hope I am not asking something stupid
Thanks in advance for your time

Fabio

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi guys, I have a question concerning this topic, I have a friend that is stuck with more or less the same problem, he doesn't have internet at the moment so I'm helping him out.
He was asking me to find out if is possible to upgrade the SMC Version (system): 1.39f5, to the
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11.
I read that is possible the opposite, wich brings the 1.39f11 version of the cpu to the 1.39f5.
Hope I am not asking something stupid
Thanks in advance for your time

Fabio
SMC microcontroller is immutable, no one have the security key or the firmware files for upgrade or downgrade outside Apple itself. No one has the source of the SMC code.

The only possibility is to replace the SMC microcontroller from the backplane/tray, 144 pin TQFP, sourcing it from a donor backplane/tray. You have to de-solder from the donor backplane/tray and solder it on the backplane/tray you want to upgrade/downgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.