Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
A couple of examples.

Sabrent 4TB

OWC 4TB m2

Yes I know about the Simtech adapter – not my first trip to the rodeo. I’m wondering if, since they are double-sided, if there are clearance issues. Likewise, if there’s a possibility of avoiding major heat problems in the limited space.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Someone over on the MacProUpgrade FB group just installed the Sabrent 8tb blade in his MP 6,1. It sounds like after the initial data transfer, which filled the cache and then slowed down, that it is performing as expected.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
It is a pretty good group. A couple over there are pretty quick with the "search before asking" type of response but otherwise a good resource.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Thanks for the info. Updated the SSD thread that the 4TB and 8TB Rocket Q drives are compatible.

Reactions: -DMN-

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
Someone over on the MacProUpgrade FB group just installed the Sabrent 8tb blade in his MP 6,1. It sounds like after the initial data transfer, which filled the cache and then slowed down, that it is performing as expected.

Would the Sabrent 8TB be this as shown on Amazon?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Would the Sabrent 8TB be this as shown on Amazon?

Yes.

Checked it out. The person in the FaceBook group turns out to be Bob Katz, a very well known audio and mastering engineer whom I've met a few times. So, I reached out to him. His response to me:

Mike Halloran thanks for asking. In another thread I posted that the disk died yesterday. Barely any response. If I coax it I might see the contents of a couple of folders.

I pulled it out of the Mac and put it in a usb nvme adapter. Sometimes it shows up but most of the contents are not revealed. This is the same adapter I initially tested it in just a few days ago and the performance was fine.

It is really and truly dead.

Yes, I attached a heat sink to the top with thermal tape.

I have a ticket in to Sabrent support. My plan is to get a replacement and kick its tires for a long long time in another machine Before I commit to it.

Since the machines I'm asking about are used in audio and AV production, I'm considering this issue dead for now.

Hopefully, someone will get this sorted out but from what I'm hearing, these aren't ready for the oven that is the 6.1.

Still looking for info on the 4TB SSDs from Sabrent or OWC. One of the Sabrents is V-NAND (as is the 8TB) while the other is 3D as is the OWC. Not interested in V NAND for a system drive. So the search continues.

Thanks for the help so far!

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I notice that 8TB and the 4TB NVMe blades I've seen (one from OWC and two from Sabrant) are all double-sided. This may be the real issue: No way to draw heat from the back side in a 6.1.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Wow, very sorry for that. I guess this capacity may be beyond what the 6,1 can handle, or visa versa.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Wow, very sorry for that. I guess this capacity may be beyond what the 6,1 can handle, or visa versa.
There's no way to cool the chips on the back side in a 6.1.

Until someone makes a one-sided 4TB NVMe blade that can be cooled by a heat sink that fits the trashcan, we're limited to 2TB blades that work. Oh well…

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
There's no way to cool the chips on the back side in a 6.1.

Until someone makes a one-sided 4TB NVMe blade that can be cooled by a heat sink that fits the trashcan, we're limited to 2TB blades that work. Oh well…

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

I’m considering Amfeltec Angelshark board to attached additional drives that may total 5TB, as shown in this thread.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Oh well. Looks like a matter of time until these can be shrunk down enough.

Then again this SSD is so pricey, wouldn't it make sense to go with that 400-500$ 3rd party accessory board/controller instead that allows you to run 3 or 4 SSDs inside the machine?

What's the recommended operating temperature for SSDs anyway?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Oh well. Looks like a matter of time until these can be shrunk down enough.

Then again this SSD is so pricey, wouldn't it make sense to go with that 400-500$ 3rd party accessory board/controller instead that allows you to run 3 or 4 SSDs inside the machine?…
My OP was about a 4TB SSD. Those are averaging $800. So, a pair of 2TB @ $250 ea + a $400 board isn’t a bad deal. Especially when you consider that the 4TB blades are double-sided and will cook as surely as the 8TB did. This board cannot use double-sided blades either.

The center slot is for the original AHCI. If it doesn’t work without that, then functionality is limited. I haven’t researched enough if these require the center to be filled or not.

In any case, your boot SSD is a maximum of 2TB. Period. APFS is required as is High Sierra or later for an NVMe blade to perform in a bus designed for AHCI. You can’t boot from RAID 0 over APFS in HS. With 2TB being your maximum boot drive, might as well run external storage over Thunderbolt — I think the $400–$500 is better spent on that.

Moving on...

OWC did offer a 4TB ACHI blade for the 6.1. Like all other AHCI drives, no one makes it anymore. I recall it costing $2k or more but it got down to around $1,200 or so when OWC ran a clearance. I’ve not been able to find one anywhere at any price. Of course, like all AHCI, its maximum speed is around 60% of NVMe in a 6.1 — or any Mac not upgraded in 2015 (some Airs, Mini and a few others). The 2015 iMacs got the slow blade in an NVMe 3 x4 bus Leaving them perfect candidates for an inexpensive major upgrade — but I digress.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
What's the recommended operating temperature for SSDs anyway?
According to Bob Katz, the max temp per Sabrant Spec is 70° C. As that 8TB was dying, SMART was reporting 69° C.

Was it averaging the 8 chips onboard? Probably. So it’s probable that the 4 on the back side were cooking up like crayons in an EZ Bake Oven. Are those still around or did I just date myself here?

Reactions: th0masp

stockholm80

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Los Angeles
Contradictory to the other posts in this thread I have been using the dual sided Sabrent 4tb without issues for about 2 weeks now. This is the regular Rocket and not the Q version. I'm using the ST-NGFF2013-C adapter and no heatsink. SMART has not reported temperatures over 32 degrees Celsius and no overheating issues so far. I'm running the fan in the Mac about 30% higher than default using the app TG Pro. As I reported in the ST-NGFF2013-C thread in the same forum I was previously using the Samsung 970 EVO and SMART then reported temperatures at about 50 degrees so it looks like the Sabrent runs a lot cooler than that drive.

Reactions: MisterAndrew

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
Contradictory to the other posts in this thread I have been using the dual sided Sabrent 4tb without issues for about 2 weeks now. This is the regular Rocket and not the Q version. I'm using the ST-NGFF2013-C adapter and no heatsink. SMART has not reported temperatures over 32 degrees Celsius and no overheating issues so far. I'm running the fan in the Mac about 30% higher than default using the app TG Pro. As I reported in the ST-NGFF2013-C thread in the same forum I was previously using the Samsung 970 EVO and SMART then reported temperatures at about 50 degrees so it looks like the Sabrent runs a lot cooler than that drive.

This is very encouraging.

Thanks for your input.

stockholm80

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Los Angeles
I just raised the fans to be on the safe side so that the SSD would get a little extra cooling since I’m not using a heat sink. Not sure if it’s needed. The computer is used for music work. Logic Pro X and Pro Tools mainly.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I just raised the fans to be on the safe side so that the SSD would get a little extra cooling since I’m not using a heat sink. Not sure if it’s needed. The computer is used for music work. Logic Pro X and Pro Tools mainly.
Ok… That was the answer I was looking for.

My guys are using LPX, Digital Performer and FCPx etc. so the uses are similar.

I will let them know that someone does have 4TB working and recommends raising the fan. If it works, it works..

I'm not a fan of QLC anyway and only recommend it for streaming and VI drives.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Perhaps it died because it's a lower quality QLC drive and not because it cooked. Perhaps the TLC drive is the way to go. I think Sabrent's drives are lower quality in general though.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Perhaps it died because it's a lower quality QLC drive and not because it cooked. Perhaps the TLC drive is the way to go. I think Sabrent's drives are lower quality in general though.
There is no 8TB TLC NVMe blade.

Bob Katz documented the temp readings on that one pretty well. He did have a heat sink on it but not one that can draw heat from the rear chips — I don't know that one exists that works in an MP 6.1.

Interestingly, Sabrent refused to exchange the failed part. Instead, they told te reseller to refund his money.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
I think Sabrent's drives are lower quality in general though.

Where are you getting this from? They've been highly regarded in the media, and I'm very pleased with the 4TB Thunderbolt 3 drive I put together using one of their drives.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 3.17.34 pm.jpg
IMG_6728.jpg

Reactions: mikehalloran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.