Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SubieFan626

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2024
Hey all.

I recently purchased a used Mac Pro 6.1 and wanted to do some upgrades to it, namely CPU and RAM. I swapped the 6 core for the 10 core E5-2690v2 without any issues. Today, I took out the original 16GB of RAM and swapped it for 64GB of RAM I bought new on eBay (this is the kit I bought). After installing the new RAM kit, my mouse and keyboard will stop working after about 30 minutes of use. The OS isn’t frozen though as the time is still advancing and I was still getting notifications. I did a hard restart and again after some time, my peripherals froze. I did have them hooked up via a KVM in my monitor, so I plugged them in directly to my Mac but still nothing. I also tried plugging in my wired Apple pro mouse but nothing. I swapped out the 64GB kit and put the original 16GB back in, and it worked fine for hours with no issues. Running stock MacOS Monterey. Thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks!

SubieFan626

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2024
Hey tsialex and bmoraski,

So this morning I tried to run Apple Diagnostics upon startup (holding D upon startup) but that oddly didn’t work. Also tried Option+D but nothing, just booted up normally. Though so far after reinstalling the ram, it’s been stable for the past 3 hours! I will update at the end of the day. Thank you both!

Reactions: pischu12

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
Though so far after reinstalling the ram, it’s been stable for the past 3 hours! I will update at the end of the day. Thank you both!
Something I know with my 6,1 is that sometimes it is fickle with the ram slots, you have to be careful how you put the ram in otherwise it won’t be detected.

Never had crashes, but have had a missing 16gb at times.

Reactions: pischu12

pischu12

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2020
Something I know with my 6,1 is that sometimes it is fickle with the ram slots, you have to be careful how you put the ram in otherwise it won’t be detected.

Never had crashes, but have had a missing 16gb at times.
Learned this lesson the hard way lol :) But all is well in the land of MacPro now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.