Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoehne Badger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
Hi,

I recently wanted to upgrade to High Sierra so that I could upgrade to Mojave on my Mac pro 5,1 2012-era CPU. I’m using an SSD.

In order to upgrade from Yosemite to High Sierra I had to remove my GTX 980 graphics card and install the original Radeon card. I’ve done card in stalls a number of times and am familiar with The various precautions one takes when doing such.

To be clear, I have not yet upgraded the OS. My computer is a 2010 era tower with a new 2012 era CPU. This setup has worked fine for a long time.

When I boot up my computer for the first time after installing the old card, I heard fans, the chime, and a bit of hard drive activity from my non--SSD cards. However there was no image on the screen whatsoever. I tried another monitor to no avail.

Per comments and suggestions on this board I tried: cmd-opt-p-r, Unplugging the computer for a while and then rebooting, Holding down the power button for quite a while until I heard a loud chimes, unseating and replacing the RAM, And removing the SSD card in hopes of building off of one of my old HD with an operating system.

No luck.

I would very much appreciate any assistance in this matter. I like my 5,1.

Are there any sort of diagnostics I can perform?

Last edited:

Renej

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Hi,

I recently wanted to upgrade to High Sierra so that I could upgrade to Mojave on my Mac pro 5,1 2012-era CPU. I’m using an SSD.

In order to upgrade from Yosemite to High Sierra I had to remove my GTX 980 graphics card and install the original Radeon card. I’ve done card in stalls a number of times and am familiar with The various precautions one takes when doing such.

To be clear, I have not yet upgraded the OS. My computer is a 2010 era tower with a new 2012 era CPU. This setup has worked fine for a long time.

When I boot up my computer for the first time after installing the old card, I heard fans, the chime, and a bit of hard drive activity from my non--SSD cards. However there was no image on the screen whatsoever. I tried another monitor to no avail.

Per comments and suggestions on this board I tried: cmd-opt-p-r, Unplugging the computer for a while and then rebooting, Holding down the power button for quite a while until I heard a loud chimes, unseating and replacing the RAM, And removing the SSD card in hopes of building off of one of my old HD with an operating system.

No luck.

I would very much appreciate any assistance in this matter. I like my 5,1.

Are there any sort of diagnostics I can perform?
[doublepost=1546089615][/doublepost]Hi Hoehne,

I have similar problems.

So you are running on Yosemite with GTX 980 and changed back to the original graphic card. And suddenly you stuck with a black screen. Is that the case? What if you change back the GTX 980.
And what is your rom version (firmware) ?

I have not enough knowledge about this matter, but of what i have read on this forum, i have the feeling that the firmware is the cause of the problem. I have burn an Efi restoration CD (version 1.9) to reset the firmware to its original version. But i can't do it yet. I need first to get into the system.

Hoehne Badger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
Unfortunately I can’t get any screen activity from the computer even after I replace the original GTX 980. I’m not sure which ROM version it is since I can’t boot.

GilBavel

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
Lawrence, Kansas
I share a similar problem, only on Mac Pro 4,1 > 5,1. I updated the firmware and installed OS all the way to High Sierra.
Then, I tried to install windows via Bootcamp, and now all I get is a black screen with a white cursor (both displays) or, if I remove the right drives, it says, "Boot disc is not present, find boot disc" (or something pretty close to that). I could really use some help, I don't know what to do and no, I didn't back up my boot disc before attempting to use Bootcamp. Help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.