Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richvalens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
UK
Hi.

Wonder if anyone can help.

Bought a MacPro 5.1. So happy.????

Started to install lots of programs, the usual stuff, but, the username was just user. And I thought of changing it. When I changed it, didn't realised that the admin feature of the user now changed to standard.

Oh boy... Was the only user on the machine.

Tried to start as a single-user mode but, it says the disk is read-only, so I can't do anything.

Besides accessing the computer via this user that doesn't allow me to do anything as it says that I don't have permissions, the only thing I can access is the single-user mode via Command+S. No Command+R or Option works to get in recovery or still try to change the startup disk as I have a pen with the highSierra Installer on it, but I can't set it up to load from the pen first.

Which options do I have?
Why there's an admin account when there's no admin account on it?
How can this be even possible?????

Had the computer for hours and managed to block it.
Nice!!!! :-(

Thanks!

zipgs

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
In single user mode you should be able to enable write by typing
mount -uw /

I'm not sure off the top of my head how to make an admin user from the command line, or change a user to admin, I'm pretty sure either can be done if you can figure out how. Probably search google and see if some of the commands shown work. I could copy and paste some here, but don't want to tell you wrong, single user mode might be different, and different OS may be different.

If not, you can delete /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and go through setup again when you reboot. (This won't delete your user, just trigger it go through the user setup on rebooting, you'll create a new admin user)

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
You could make a new user with admin privileges. .. shutdown, reboot delete your original "user".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.