Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0sen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
Welcome to this little guide showing you how to modify your Mac Pro to feature a transparent side panel. The inner layout of the Mac Pro is beautiful and well thought trough, why hide it behind a aluminium plate ? I wanted to change that so i decided to replace the aluminium side door with a transparent one made out of acrylglas.
If you want to buy this pleas let me know I'm working on it ;) http://www.i0sen.ch/shop
I have made a video guide if you want to check it out:
Pleas let me know what you think !
The end product:
UMlkOMs.jpg

PqTTL4Y.jpg

Last edited:

Idolum

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
It was a pure coincidence. I had a retired Mac Pro in the closet and a filing cabinet which I bought years earlier at Crate & Barrel. The Mac Pro side panel is where the glass used to be. I needed the filing cabinet to be on the same level as the main table to support the monitors:
IMG_4225.JPG

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
That's a gorgeous setup. What do you use it for?

Based on where the keyboard is, aren't you SUPER close to the monitors?

andysh

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
Good job!
Totally mac: cool aesthetic operation...but then you're using Windows 10 with it eheheh

i0sen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
Would you be interested in doing this as a service? Ive been looking at buying the same thing for quite a while!
I was thinking about exactly that but I think there is to little interest in this to open a "web store". And it's not that hard to do. I could do all the plexiglas/acrylglass drilling and ordering and ship it. But i don't have spare Mac Pro side Panels. I looked for them bur i couldn't find them for a reasonable price.

blut haus

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2015
I was thinking about exactly that but I think there is to little interest in this to open a "web store". And it's not that hard to do. I could do all the plexiglas/acrylglass drilling and ordering and ship it. But i don't have spare Mac Pro side Panels. I looked for them bur i couldn't find them for a reasonable price.
I'd buy one if you ever decided to do that :)

Reactions: i0sen

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight

If you provided everything ready for us to bolt the chassis on at home, I would buy one! I have a spare door sat here waiting! It's been something I've wanted for a while.

Reactions: i0sen

i0sen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
I'd buy one if you ever decided to do that :)
I would do it for sure but I'm a little worried about shipping warranties and stuff like this. I don't have experience in this stuff. If buyers would not want warranties that would be easier. I don't really see a point in giving warranty on a peace of plexiglass :p But the Problem with the "World Wide shipping" stays... (except you live in Switzerland :D) has anyone an idea ? (I order lots of stuff from aliexpress which ships form china for under 10 $ thats insane but I don't know how I could do that :p)
[doublepost=1469542214][/doublepost]
Well I sure do.
Here you go ! I don't use it as my working desk since it si a bit to heigh but with a bar chair it is perfect or as a standing desk. In the beginning i wanted to go with a thin carbon desk plate but I found out it was to expensive so I got along with wood.
UllxVgx.jpg

3lMEGDP.jpg

RqgYh93.jpg

ehGzoaa.jpg

1m8K9ck.jpg

I hope you like it ;)

Reactions: ActionableMango

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
If you do decide to do it, a warranty for me won't be necessary (price pending), I live in the United Kingdom and would really love to have this done. I can easily get hold of a spare service door ready for it if everything was ready for just the chassis transplant! Would it have the lip too?

i0sen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
If you do decide to do it, a warranty for me won't be necessary (price pending), I live in the United Kingdom and would really love to have this done. I can easily get hold of a spare service door ready for it if everything was ready for just the chassis transplant! Would it have the lip too?
yep with the lip if you wish ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.